Suffolk, Virginia here and new member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tominva

Jan 1, 2012
Suffolk,Va
I want to put a wood stove in my detached garage. Most of the stoves I see here on Craigs list are early made inserts offered at $100 to 200 I would like a Fisher stand alone but they bring $ 500 to 600 each. Suggestions please.

Welcome Tom. First check with your local authorities to make sure this is allowed in your county. Wood stoves in garages are not permitted in several areas.

That said, if this is more of a workshop and no combustibles or vehicles use the garage, then keep your eye out for other good stoves like a used Buck or Englander.

Fishers are more expensive than other old steel stoves, no matter what the style. Either expect to pay more $$$ for the Fisher reputation or look at another brand stove. You can go to a Tractor Supply and get a pot belly stove brand new for under $300.

In Virginia if you are looking for a stove in the Fisher style and quality there are lots of Timberlines around as well as older Englanders that will run all day long toe to toe with the Fishers. They are all just big 1/4" steel plate boxes with doors and legs on them.

If ya want to make the drive there are a lot of Fishers on craigslist locally lately. Take a look at the Northern Virginia/DC/Maryland version.

Status
Not open for further replies.