Suggestions for homemade wood rack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve19

With my current setup I can easily store 2 cords of wood within my veranda and 1 cord outside (covered with a tarp). For next year I'd like to make a woodrack that can easily hold 3-4 cords. I watched a youtube.com video (seemed to be popular one) on how to make a woodrack, but I was wondering if there are any other videos or threads on this forum that provide other examples?

Any tips would be great.
Thanks!

Can you link through to which youtube video it was you watched? Don't want to give you the same advice twice! :)

steve19 said:
With my current setup I can easily store 2 cords of wood within my veranda and 1 cord outside (covered with a tarp). For next year I'd like to make a woodrack that can easily hold 3-4 cords. I watched a youtube.com video (seemed to be popular one) on how to make a woodrack, but I was wondering if there are any other videos or threads on this forum that provide other examples?

Any tips would be great.
Thanks!

Is your veranda beefy enough to hold 4 cord of wood? That's some serious weight!

And there's always the KISS approach: store two cords on your verandah, and two cords nearby with something to keep the snow off the top . Midwinter when you have a warm spell and the verandah is getting low, it's restocking day. Cargo sleds or many hands make quick work of moving a couple of cords.

I have two cords under the deck over my back door, and my wood racks are simple things that make use of the bracing under the deck for stability. May end up tucking another cord away there as well. The rest of the wood I'l use this winter is within easy distance of that spot, and over Christmas break, when Teenthing1 is home from college, we'll restack. By spring, my piles will be gone, my racks dissembled, and we have the space available again for summer stuff.

As lukem points out, 3-4 cords in one rack is serious weight. If it destabilizes, that's a chunk of weight going over. I like to separate my wood by species and age, so I tend to have several little squirrel-stashes rather than one monolithic pile. Might be worth rethinking this . . .

snowleopard said:
As lukem points out, 3-4 cords in one rack is serious weight. If it destabilizes, that's a chunk of weight going over. I like to separate my wood by species and age, so I tend to have several little squirrel-stashes rather than one monolithic pile. Might be worth rethinking this . . .

Does that mean that I've made a colossal error with the 2 and a half cord pile I just finished out back. Doh! :ahhh:

TreePointer said:
Do you need to disassemble these racks in the spring and move them?
Was your question directed towards the OP?

If you were asking me (assumption based on my having mentioned that I do this), here's my answer: my racks are 10'-2x4s set 14" apart (measured on the outside). These are my horizontal pieces and they rest on 14" 2x4s, and are screwed to them. The uprights are 8' 2x4s, turned to face the wide sides together and joined with a 14" crosspiece. They are toenailed into the 10' pieces, and the top fits between some of the joists on the decking. I have two of these side by side, and upri90ghts from the two sets are side-by-side. I threw in a few screws here to stabilize them.

Come spring, I pull out the toenails, and move the sets of verticals and horizontals under another deck, and I'm done.

Because I prefer wood cut to 18", these are perfect for my wood. I stack them 6' high and they each hold about 90cf; two hold a cord and a half. I have those on one side of the door, and another single on the other side of the door. I don't have that stacked as high because I want to be able to see out on that side. If I wanted to, I could fit another couple of racks on that side as well. I don't have uprights on the house side, because I just stack the seasoned wood up against the siding (carefully). My two-cord racks cost me about $40, should last for years, and when I 'm done with them, I can burn 'em, as fossil pointed out.

I don't need to dissemble them in the summer, but I want to. I like to use that area for hanging baskets, potting plants, parking the lawn mower, etc. in the spring and summer. In the winter, with wood in them, they're a thing of beauty.

I saw this same video, and built 4 of these woodracks.
3 - 16'
1 - 8'
The firewood is piled up approx. 5' in height.
I'm seeing a little sag on the ends (2 - 3").
I figure I will have to bolster them up once I get rid of the wood currently on the racks (few extra screws)

Status
Not open for further replies.