Suggestions requested: starter toolkit for son

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
I CAN'T FIND ANY STINKIN' DRILL BITS! I *know* he's not using my drill bits, so I won't get him those, but I can't find mine, which means I can't hang the blinds in my bedroom--a ten-minute job that I've been on for 40 minutes just trying to assemble my tools, which is why I came here. I have assorted boxes with tools in them, and instead of just using a tool and putting it away, my son takes the whole box--thinking that he might need something else in there, or something, at least I think he's thinking--and my Saturday morning chore list has run off the tracks and into the high grass before I know it.

My plan is to get a tool kit for my son that is inclusive enough to not have my stuff walk and cheap enough to not break the bank.

He's trying to get a 1971 Honda CB750 running, so I know I need metric for that, and will get him some standards, too, just because it's the right thing to do. I figure socket sets, wrench sets, screwdrivers, what else needs to be in it? He's 17, not much of a mechanic, but he's trying. Any recommendations for a general set of tools? Sears? Anything decent at Walmart--or are all those going to break on first use? What should I plan on spending to get a decent starter set? I figure if I get a him a set with a case with a place for everything etc., he'll be motivated to keep track of them.

Help appreciated with this.

Kinda hate to say it but Harbor freight hand tools, a lot of them have a lifetime warranty. Craftsman have to watch which line you are picking from the better lines have lifetime warranty also. Not a fan of Walmart items tool wise.
I know what you mean about tools taking a hike, between my step father and my 2 sons I thought I was going to have to buy a hardware store.

I started buying my own tools when I was 16 to rebuild a few VW Beetles. I bought cheap tools and got pretty far with that. Needed some better built sockets and wrenches for the really stubborn things, and got those as I broke the cheap ones. Still have most of those inexpensive ones in the well of my current vehicle for emergencies (that I have been fortunate to not have). I think decent screwdrivers are worth it from the get go. If he's rebuilding a bike he might need an impact tool to break some things free, pair of vise grips never hurt, and of course a can of Marvels Mystery Oil with old timey oil can is a must for that type of project (IMO).

hint: you may find drill bits next to last thing the drill attacked....thats how it goes at my house anyways. good luck to you and him.

blades said:
Kinda hate to say it but Harbor freight hand tools, a lot of them have a lifetime warranty. Craftsman have to watch which line you are picking from the better lines have lifetime warranty also. Not a fan of Walmart items tool wise. I know what you mean about tools taking a hike, between my step father and my 2 sons I thought I was going to have to buy a hardware store.

Thanks, HF, not familiar with them, but will Google. LOL re: SF and sons. Hardware store would be great for a few weeks, and then a nightmare--just more stuff to wander. :gulp:

Delta-T said:
I started buying my own tools when I was 16 to rebuild a few VW Beetles. I bought cheap tools and got pretty far with that. Needed some better built sockets and wrenches for the really stubborn things, and got those as I broke the cheap ones. Still have most of those inexpensive ones in the well of my current vehicle for emergencies (that I have been fortunate to not have). I think decent screwdrivers are worth it from the get go. If he's rebuilding a bike he might need an impact tool to break some things free, pair of vise grips never hurt, and of course a can of Marvels Mystery Oil with old timey oil can is a must for that type of project (IMO).

hint: you may find drill bits next to last thing the drill attacked....thats how it goes at my house anyways. good luck to you and him.

I've still got a few tools I bought when I was a little older than he was--a pair of nn-pliers comes to mind. I think that's the route I want to take--not springing for the real expensive ones, but enough variety so that he'll look there instead of making the stuff I need wander. I like the MMO suggestion--he's asked for that, and I forgot about it. Also was able to retrieve a nice wrench from between battery and headlight in the F250. I'll explain to him that this is an alternate toolbox.

The bike was one his father parked about 20 years ago, covered, and has sat since. He actually got the engine to start, but has a ways to go. If it takes him about three years, I'd be fine with that. Meanwhile, my garage! Oy!

so the list so far:
screwdrivers, ss and ph;
socket sets, standard and metric;
vise grips;
assorted pliers;
marvel mystery oil & tin-woodman oil can;
a few bales of oil-spill pads :blank:

I'm not going to spring for an impact wrench because I don't have one for him to make disappear so he's on his own . . .

I have no recollection of which project I used the drill bits on last; those things seem to fade mercifully from memory . . . I'm going to make a town run for these thingys, and then put some music on the stereo in the sunroom (now that it's been set up there after rescuing from the bathroom because how can you take a shower without a the boom of bass?) and sort my tools and organize them and PUT THEM AWAY with mousetraps or something set to spring in the tool boxes.

Thank you, gents, and any other must-have suggestions out there?

Alot of bolts on bikes are allen head so a set of allen sockets might be nice. I have a set of gear wrenches, not sure of the brand and I use them all the time. Get him a can of anti-seize, steel bolts and aluminum cases don't like each other. Instead of a high dollar impact gun you can find the type you hit with a hammer, they work surprisingly well, and don't cost that much. A wobble extension for the sockets helps for getting into tight paces.
I hate to say it too, but for a kids first set of tools a HF set may be the way to go. As he breaks and misplaces them he can replace them with better quality ones.

I forgot Torx bits, not sure if that bike has them, but I know as a kid I tried to make allens work for torx. Good idea on the set with a place for everything to help in keeping track of tools. I like socket rails, if I see an empty hole I need to start looking for something.

Found a set at NAPA for $100 with a place for everything, asked the lady there about the quality of the tools, and she said, "They're actually pretty good." The handle was broken off the case, and I asked if she had another set, and she checked the other stores in town, and the other stores in state, and said, "That's the only set available in Alaska." Gave me $5 off for the broken handle, and as I left, the guy behind me asked if they had another set like that.

Son finally met eligibility requirements to play football last night (first time in two years, hard-headed thing that he is), and made about six tackles and intercepted a pass to run a 74-yard td, team is in the playoffs, and he was a happy, happy kid. Afterwards, I said, "I have a present for you," and his eyes lit up and he said it was everything he needed, "except I won't need the drill bits." I told him I'd take them!

I'm going to look for the additions suggested above, but for right now, he's got a start. We're setting up a place in the garage just for his bike--can't swing a work bench, but I have a very heavy-duty folding table about 10' long, and we're going to set up a work space with that, lights, etc. He'll be happy because he'll have space that's just for him, and I"ll be happy, because he'll have space that's just for him, meaning I get a bay and a half of the garage and a workbench back.

I think as he begins to work with his own tools, it will help him to understand why I get annoyed when mine wander. We shall see.

Thanks for the bike-specific tool suggestions, jeromehdmc, esp. the hand-operated impact tool. I'll poke around and see if I can find one. What do you think of the 750 for a 17 year old? It seems like a lot of bike to me, and fortunately, winter's coming on here in a few more weeks and he'll be off it for the winter. Another six months can make a difference in a kid that age. I want to send him through a motorcycle class before he heads off on it. He's had some dirtbike experience--a little--but that's about it. He wanted a ninja-type bike, which are smaller, faster, more manuverable, but I wasn't comfortable with their speeds or their price tags. Heck--I'm not crazy about seeing him on a bike, period, but if people are careful--and lucky--it can work out.

blades said:
Harbor freight hand tools

Agreed!

That is where I got all of my basic tools, it doesnt break the bank and for those of us who dont make a living with them, its the way to go. Probably the cheapest way to build up your tool box. And despite the concern for harbor freight, check the reviews on the website, its the best way to judge if it is a good tool or not.

The motorcycle safety class is a god idea. I had to take one as a job requirement. That CB shouldn't be too much bike if he respects it. Also they are getting to be kind of popular nowdays.
Make sure the bench is sturdy enough, beef up the legs. I had a friend that made a workbench out of an old solid door from a jail. It could hold an Electra Glide. Make a chock for the front wheel out of a couple 2x4's nailed upright on either side of the front wheel with another across the front so the bike won't roll forwards. Put a couple eye-bolts a little forward of the bars so you can run tie-downs from the bench to the handle bars and you'll be in business. Search for impact driver and you'll see what I was referring to.

Get him a decent sized Craftsman tool set. Craftsman hand tools are warranteed for life and if he ever manages to break one he can take it to your local Sears and they'll hand him a new one, no questions asked.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937154000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

This looks like a pretty nice intro mechanic's set. Add a decent set of screwdrivers and he should be in really good shape.

Craftsman have to watch which line you are picking from the better lines have lifetime warranty also.

Incorrect. Sears does sell non-Craftsman tools, yes...but if the tool says "Craftsman" on the handle and it has 3 moving parts or less, its unconditionally guaranteed forever. Use your 1/2" ratchet and scredriver as a hammer and chisel and broke both of them? Take them to Sears and the monkey behind the counter will hand you a new one, doesn't matter how you broke it, they don't care. Electric tools are not covered by this warranty, but screwdrivrs, sockets, ratchets, vice grips, etc are absolutely covered...so long as its actually a Craftsman tool.

Thank you, guys, for all the advice. I will keep it in mind for additional purchases, and check out these sites. I went ahead and got him the NAPA one, and he was thrilled. He spent half-an-hour yesterday looking over the contents, and said, "It's like Christmas came early." He also told me I was not to touch any of the tools. Who knew this would mean so much to him? The one I got is a mix of common household tools as well as mechanic-ing tools, and they look pretty decent to me. I will keep the Craftsman's tools hint in mind, as we have a Sears in this town.

The table is really strong, but we could nail a couple of 2x4s across walls in the corner to add additional support, and put a leg under the center and the other corner without too much effort. Chock is a good idea as well.

Renaissance said:
Spark plug socket & gap tool
Digital Multimeter

Have the spark plug sockets and gap tool, never heard of the multimeter. Will google. thanks

I was looking for one for the wife a while back, cause she is always in my tools.
Sears had some good sets anywhere from $50-$500. They had different types as well.
She doesn't know it yet buy one Christmas present this year is HER very own set of tools.

If you keep your eye out for sales at Sears, you can get a complete socket set with some basic plyers, screw drivers, etc for $100-$140. around christmas you can get deals for like $90.

This is a good basic mechanics set, not sure how much dough you want to shell out.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937154000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

On top of that, basic drill bit set
Screw drivers
Plyers

Seems like a lot, but im from the school of getting stuff that will last. My mother bought me a 150 pc set like the one pictured when i was about 15, that was 15 yrs ago and ive only added to it. I now have a 3 tiered craftsman box full to the brim. The tool box was my graduation gift. You dont need to get him everything, but do get him something that he'll want to take care of. He wont want to polish a terd. Ive always taken care of my tools, which is probably why people dont mind buying tools as gifts.

FYI, ive worked on many bikes, and even with a basic set, he'll still be borrowing some tools he wont have.

Guy next door stopped by a few weeks ago with a cheap box end wrench (17mm) that was stripping the oil plug on his bike.

Set him up with a Craftsman and a SnapOn (from dad) both fit perfect but the craftsman cost the same as the cheap one he was using - forget the SnapOn

Pay a little extra and get a craftsman set - got my first set for my 16th B-Day would still have it if it didn't get stolen.

Aaron

+1 on the impact driver being a must-have for motorcycle work.

I consider anti-seize compound a must have also whenever a steel fastener is put in an aluminum housing, like on motorcycles. It should be in the tool kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.