Summer in Big Sky Country

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt

Attachments

• june7thsnowstormBS.jpg
    june7thsnowstormBS.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 458
  • june2011bs-snow.jpg
    june2011bs-snow.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 481
Mt Ski Bum said:
Woke up this morning to this- a nice early-June blizzard with several inches of fresh snow on the ground!

Meanwhile, a couple hours east of here, the Yellowstone River Valley was experiencing a tornado outbreak:
http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_248235c7-3f47-57ad-9984-68cb331ec5bf.html
http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_791741f5-633d-5a00-9c43-1b4ed3fa80ee.html

Mt Ski Bum send some of that snow this way, we are in the high 80's. We do have some possible storms with high winds coming in tomorrow afternoon.

GIBIR

hey bum...better get lights on those trees out front! usually, i'm talking about how cold it is, but you win this week!!! here in my section of the u.p. we hit 95f today!!! as you can guess, that dusting of snow you got is looking mighty refreshing! but, relief is on the way...forecast for thu fri and sat is 57, 62, 63. sounda like you have a great job during the summer. any openings?

103 °F here today!

Shari said:
103 °F here today!

I honestly can't stand that heat... I honestly have a very low tolerance for temps above 85 or so... guess that's why I love living up in the mountains. :)

yooperdave- sounds like you'll get some nice relief this weekend- I'd love to send some of our rain over your way (or to anyone else who wants some), seeing as how the ground is soo saturated it can't absorb a single more drop of water, with pretty much every single dam in the state releasing water over the spillways. And, oddly enough, yes, FWP is looking for more technicians... all you have to do is move out to Mt! haha.. but yes, it is a great job (as is my winter job), & other than having to deal with the occasional angler with a bad case of anti-gov't paranoia, I love the work I do.

Mt Ski Bum. Did you ever get that 1-2' of snow a couple weeks ago?

94 here yesterday. Downright awful weather. Only suited for the folks down south. YooperDave lives a couple hundred miles north of us and he was hotter than we were yesterday! He can have it all.

Backwoods Savage said:
Mt Ski Bum. Did you ever get that 1-2' of snow a couple weeks ago?

94 here yesterday. Downright awful weather. Only suited for the folks down south. YooperDave lives a couple hundred miles north of us and he was hotter than we were yesterday! He can have it all.

We did get that snow a couple weeks ago- I'm not sure how much actually fell, as the storm came through while I was out of town those days.

btw- please don't send those 90+ temps west! We don't want them anymore than you guys do! ;)

Well it is 70 right now. Forecast high was 68 with falling temperatures. Wrong again.....

Attachments

• Lone Peak from the Mtn. Lodge_red.jpg
    Lone Peak from the Mtn. Lodge_red.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC01621-red..jpg
    DSC01621-red..jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 367
  • lone-peak june 2011.jpg
    lone-peak june 2011.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 371
Beautiful country but a very cool spring for sure. That is still a lot of snow pack!

Mt Ski Bum said:
Just for comparison, here's pics. I took of the peak (Lone Peak) around the same time last year & the year before-

1. June 2009

2. June 2010

3. June 2011

... according to readings from the Lone Mtn. Snotel, which is located near the treeline, the snowpack on the mountain is still 62" deep: http://www.lonepeaklookout.com/news/article_adfbac88-9216-11e0-961c-001cc4c002e0.html

You need some of that global warming on that mountain! What a glorious place you live in.

Backwoods Savage said:
Beautiful country but a very cool spring for sure. That is still a lot of snow pack!

Our mountains are the same. There is so much snowpack locally that Bonneville Power stopped some wind generators due to excess capacity this year. Sure is pretty though.

Record snowpacks in the Northwest this year. Reservoirs are full. Water being released in anticipation of the snowmelt. Causing some problems. La Nina, apparently, is at the root cause of it. Rick

fossil said:
Record snowpacks in the Northwest this year. Reservoirs are full. Water being released in anticipation of the snowmelt. Causing some problems. La Nina, apparently, is at the root cause of it. Rick

Same here... except instead of flowing into the ocean relatively quickly, all the water being released from our reservoirs (especially Ft. Peck) instead floods about half a dozen downstream states...

Several months ago I read that La Nina would significantly weaken in early spring & be back to normal non-La Nina conditions by early summer.... I call BS.. La Nina seems stronger than ever right now... ;)

My wife and I toyed around with the idea of moving to Montana a year or so ago. Pics like that make me still want to pick up and move!

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Pics like that make me still want to pick up and move!

-SF

Better not find my all my facebook photo albums then- next thing you know you'll be packing your bags & boarding the next flight to Montana! ;-P

btw- If you move to Montana, you'd better like rain- the weather we've been having lately (i.e. the past 2.5+ months) makes me wonder if a new inland rain forest is going to pop up in the middle of state... (Welcome to the High Rainforest, formerly known as the High Plains!) lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.