summers heat snc-30 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreydb

Nov 12, 2010
Cumberland, MD
hello folks!

New - B here:

I recently installed a SNC-30 stove. bought from supplier 'used' because it was returned after 1 week.

Wondering if I did the right thing now to save 100 bucks on this one.

no blower is installed.

I can't seem to get the temperature above about 200-250 degrees.

My IR thermometer shows the flue as 225 or so most of the time. Top of stove reads 190-220.

My glass door was fouled black before i started it up. cleaned up and i can't seem to keep it clean.

I have 15 ft of duravent 6" SS flue. Might need to go higher above the roof line. Have and additional 3 ft section to add.

Wood is black walnut that a pal dropped and split back in the summer.

I hooked up the outside air feed as my heatpump air handler is in the same room.

Appreciate any tips. I sure dont want to have to haul this one back and ask for the new one!

Thanks !

Jeffrey Beck

Cumberland, MD

jeffreydb said:

Sounds like it needs some dry wood. Save the walnut for next year.

Hiram Maxim said:
jeffreydb said:

And that right there is the answer . . . wood is not seasoned. Usually wood does best when cut, split and stacked a year prior to use . . . longer for some wood species, shorter for others.

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, also. Black walnut is a high moisture wood. It needs 12 mo. to season properly. I would bet that your in the 30-32% Moisture content range. WAY too high for an EPA stove.

(Man - you guys pounced on that like a fat kid on a doughnut.)

And welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.