Summit / T6 primary air intake holes...and...loading it up fully

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwscarab

Dec 5, 2007
SE Indiana
I have the removable plate on the front of the stove below the bottom of door opening, which has holes that align with the holes in the square welded air intake on the firebox. Sometimes it warps with different stove temps as others have noticed. Once I removed this plate and noticed a few holes in the matching welded firebox clogged with ash. As I touched the ash, it fell into the square welded air intake - but unclogged the holes. I assume ash will build up in there.

So question is this - do others have issues with these holes getting clogged?? How do I get the ash out of the welded assembly?? Maybe vacuum thru the large primary hole on bottom once in a while?? Is this not really a concern??

As always, thanks for your input!!

p.s. - as long as I am asking questions......sorry, T6 newbie here....... Sometimes when I load the wood, I load it right up against the baffle - even if it touches and needs a little push to get in (sliding along baffle bottom) but definitly not forcing it in. Is this ok to do???

Awaiting my manifold baffle replacement "backordered per my dealer", due in late feb... I was told they are making the manifold shorter to allow for expansion instead of butting up against the door frame and thus warping. if you have the tools, you could grind it shorter, then try to straighten it in a vice.... My attempts to straighten it did not last, i do not have a grinder.

burning as is, i try to push the ash a little bit back from the manifold on reloads. And when i (infrequently) clean out the stove, i remove the baffle and vacuum the the air inlets. My thoughts are it is a non issue as when you open the primary, you are going to suck the ash out of those inlets...

When there is not a coal pile tall enough up front, I use the baffle as a "lift" to help get a little air under the n/s splits. So far, two n/s on either side of the coal pile and three east west on top produce the best burn with my not totally seasoned hardwoods, this orientation also assists with the combustion of the previous leftover coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.