Superior CF 3860 Removal for Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjated

Nov 12, 2016
Grayslake, IL
Hello, all. First post here. Read through lots of posts and was seeking info regarding converting a Superior CF 3860 ZC fireplace to a wood stove. I know you need particulars, so here they come:

Current fireplace is in garden level living room. There are garden level concrete walls and the chase sits on the wall which is set back from the main wall. I believe it is an 8" pipe going up the chase, but not sure. It's been hard trying to find info for this Superior model.

So, in unincorporated Lake County, Illinois, what would it take to get a wood stove in this opening.

Questions:
1. Class A all the way up the two story chase, or SS insulated flexible pipe in existing?
2. How best to build fireblock? Metal plate with ceramic blanket above it?
3. I would like to brick the remaining cavity after taking out fireplace, could I firebrick that whole cavity?
4. Would the mantel be too close for a wood stove given the 19" clearance area?
5. I would like a tee for a clean out, but there may not be enough room. What do you do for a clean out if going from a top mounted stove pipe?
6. Wood Stove recommendations? Looking for going from 10% to 75% efficiency. I need something that would pass the wife test...

And I thank you for any information. Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there may be a misconception of what is behind the brick and what the options are. Freestanding woodstoves have specific clearance requirements. Behind the brick facade there is most likely wood framing that surrounds the ZC fireplace. Most typically replacing the fireplace requires either replacing it with a similarly sized ZC or a tear out, including the brick face and side framing in order to get the clearances necessary for the wood stove. Many typically need a 7' ceiling for an alcove installation which is what this would become.

Thanks for the info. The bricks on the floor are on concrete and the bricks in the walls butt up to the garden level concrete wall. There would be lumber construction above the garden wall for the chase. The ZC fireplace its sits in a concrete vault which juts out of the garden level wall on the outside. Hope this helps on seeing where the fireplace is situated.

Does that change anything making it any easier to install into this area?

Status
Not open for further replies.