SuperSplit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Pulled the trigger on a new SuperSplit. Sold my first one after having it for 20 years, because I had a gasification boiler that could take 30 in length's, less splitting and stacking, so I bought a 30 in. stroke Split Fire splitter which worked great. Since moved, have a regular woodstove in the house that takes 24 in pieces max. So I sold my SplitFire, not needing that long two way stroke anymore and am going back to the splitter that made me fill like splitting wood was fast an easy. And sips fuel. I use to think I could split a cord and a half if not two, on a tank of gas. Think the 3hp briggs held a quart of gas at the time.

TreePointer said:
Congrats!

I think I'll eventually move to a Super Split.
Had the hydraulic splitter and after having one of these I wanted to go back to a super split again. Just can't be how good they are on fuel for the amount of production they get done. I also loved that I could fire the SuperSplit up and amke a bunch of small kindeling up, in less than a minute for my wood cooker. A very handy machine. Nice thing too, is you can switch it out to an electric motor as well if need be.

I like to see video's of this in action?

smokinjay said:
Smokin, their all over Youtube, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
smokinjay said:
Smokin, their all over Youtube, Randy

really slick. My rounds wouldnt work well though.[youtube]http://youtu.be/_6X_A_NGP30[/youtube]

I love these! I have never seen one before. I'm impressed by the You Tube videos. Horizontal only wouldn't be so bad with that big table. 24 inch max is no problem for me. I cut to 20 inch. Seem a little more expensive than a comparable hydraulic but the speed is amazing and the operating cost seems to be low, according to the website. I wonder if these ever come up on the used market.

What I've seen is it's rare that they come up in used listings, and they go fast when they do.

TreePointer said:
What I've seen is it's rare that they come up in used listings, and they go fast when they do.
Your right! I had my SuperSplit for 20 years, paid 1200 dollars new and sold it for 1500, being new ones were now over 2000. Sold it the first week, wanting to get a splitter with a 30 inch stroke. Had about 3-4 buyers lined up for the splitter. After selling my SuperSplit I bought a 30 inch stroke hydraulic splitter to split wood for a gasification boiler that took up to 30 inch splits. I've since moved and only need wood for a regular woodstove again, so I sold my hydraulic splitter and took the money to buy another SuperSplit again. I guess once you use one, you get to see the speed in which you can split out firewood. You really can see how productive it is , splitting wood with the SuperSplit. Yes you do have to lift your wood to the splitter bed , but it's so fast I never minded for the first 20 years.

I would love to try one. Never heard anything but positives. Even though my hyd unit is fast 4sec full cycle, I'm guessing the SS will tackle most wood just fine on less fuel.

Super Split rocks!
I got mine last summer and still can't wipe the grin off.
An amazing machine.

727sunset said:
Super Split rocks!
I got mine last summer and still can't wipe the grin off.
An amazing machine.
Yup, I agree. Had my first one for 20 years, sold it to go to a bigger hydraulic and now going back to my favorite splitter again, Super Split. Out of 20 years on my first Super Split I would have had zero problems , but out of my own fault, I kept forcing the ram thru a elm crotch, which filled the splitter bed to the point it barely let the ram teeth start engaging and it wound up breaking a tooth off the ram which got in between the rack and pinion gear and broke my cam mechanism . Lesson learned. It was 18 years old at that point so I couldn't complain. I knew better, live and learn.

I am now lusting for one of these machines, but I just don't think I can justify the cost for the 1.5 to two cords I burn a year. The splitting by hand can be tough at times but it's a good workout.

However.... I have a huge source of oak on a couple of ranches owned or managed by friends. Other friends and neighbors are starting to call and offer me the wood from trees they have taken down or have come down on their own. I have the time in my off season (late fall and winter) to work on wood.
I'll bet I could get sell a few cords each year and pay for the Super Split pretty quickly. hmmmmm.............

Super Split is beyond what the average homeowner requires. For anyone burning larger volumes or selling firewood etc it's a worthy contender.
It's priced higher than hydraulic units and is definitely built to last.
For myself most of the wood I get is 12" diameter or less so no need to consider a vertical splitter. I found the table highly desirable. It's at a comfortable working height and adequately sized.
The lack of hydraulic leaks and fluid top-ups etc is a bonus.

If you want to split a ton of Ash under 18 inches in diameter, from a loader bucket located at hip hieght and don't have concern for you fingers, it is a great option. All seriousness though, I think if you run this thing you will be endangering yourself. Hydraulics are safer and fast enough. Watch who is taughting this a great choice, they have done this before and it seems likely they are selling the units themselves.

mywaynow said:
If you want to split a ton of Ash under 18 inches in diameter, from a loader bucket located at hip hieght and don't have concern for you fingers, it is a great option. All seriousness though, I think if you run this thing you will be endangering yourself. Hydraulics are safer and fast enough. Watch who is taughting this a great choice, they have done this before and it seems likely they are selling the units themselves.
20 years running my SuperSplit, I never once came close to cutting anything off. Your one hand is on the handle to activate the splitter and if the other hand is touching the wood it's on the top of the wood, not near the ends. I'd say a hydraulic hose blowing apart from a crimped end hitting you with 3000psi of force plus hot oil would be a little more dangerous than the a splitter with no hydraulics.

mywaynow ~ I bought my SuperSplit sight unseen based on referrals from satisfied owners. I am not aware of any middlemen as I bought mine direct from the manufacturer and am simply a satisfied purchaser. They come with pertinent safety, operation and maintenance information that is clear and well written. I continue to find SuperSplit very efficient in it's operation and a joy to use. Currently I have all my digits intact.
Respectfully, I hope you continue to be as happy with your hydraulic splitter as we are with SuperSplit. To each his own.

727sunset said:
mywaynow ~ I bought my SuperSplit sight unseen based on referrals from satisfied owners. I am not aware of any middlemen as I bought mine direct from the manufacturer and am simply a satisfied purchaser. They come with pertinent safety, operation and maintenance information that is clear and well written. I continue to find SuperSplit very efficient in it's operation and a joy to use. Currently I have all my digits intact.
Respectfully, I hope you continue to be as happy with your hydraulic splitter as we are with SuperSplit. To each his own.
Well said, and there is no middle man, direct from the builders. I asked as to becoming a dealer, only because with my first SuperSplit, when people saw me using it, they were amazed and sorry that hadn't known about the machine before buying what ever they had. My new one should arrive at the freight terminal next week. The Internet, Paul the owner said is all the advertisement they need. No dealers needed. The splitters speak for themselves. All I can say is it makes you feel like you are beating the system splitting wood with the SuperSplit, the wood stacks up quick! Plus with gas going up, that's another plus with the SuperSplit, it just sips fuel :)

Tonight, I wind up talking to my buddy, I haven't talked to in about 6 months, who sells firewood, who bought my first Super Split I had for 20 years. He also uses a hydraulic splitter too. The other day a guy drives by, sees him using the SuperSplit, zipping wood out . Guy said he's never seen such a splitter, and does firewood himself too. Next thing the guy gets out his money and wound up buying the splitter from my friend. So now it's on it's third owner. My buddy sold 42 cords last year and only let the SuperSplit go because he was going to buy a processor. Now he gets all his free wood in 16 inch lengths, all of a sudden, so now he's sorry he sold the SuperSplit. I had to laugh :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.