Surface Rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pioden

Oct 14, 2008
Wales
Hi everyone,

I did something REALLY stupid over the weekend. I wiped my Morso stove with a wet cloth, and didn't dry it properly afterwards. The result is a fine layer of surface rust/discolouration coating the outside of the stove.

Can anyone suggest how I can get rid of this - short of repainting the whole thing ? :-( I have a feeling that a vigorous rub down with a damp, rough cloth will remove the rust but I thought it would be better to ask the experts first! I will, of course, be drying the stove properly afterwards!
TIA

Huw

I've had a little rust cone through the paint over the last two summers, so I picked up some stove polish.
5RU-WI-00710-xlg.jpg

It is supposed to be for unpainted stoves, but I figured if there was rust it would make a good touch up and protector. Just hit the rust with a wire brush and a rag, then work in the polish and rub it down until the dry rag no longer picks up polish. Looks great.

Thanks for the reply Marty. I checked out the Morso website and they say that stove polish is unsuitable for their stoves. Darn.

Once a stove has polish on it you can never paint the stove again. Polish has graphite in it, gets into the metal and never leaves. Paint won't stick to the graphite.

Thanks guys. The steel wool approach sounds about right to me. I'll try it tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess repainting is the only sensible thing to do.

Cheers. Your advice is much appreciated here on the other side of the pond. :)

Huw

Status
Not open for further replies.