Surge protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmdoss

Sep 20, 2012
Missouri Ozarks
What's everyone doing for protection from lighting? We get a lot here in MO. I am looking to better protect my well pump. I may just start throwing the breaker during storms

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Throwing the breaker won't help if the surge travels the neutral. In addition to the unit siege mentions they also make whole house protectors that fit in a double breaker package. Lower surge rating but faster reaction time and you don't loose circuits.

I'm not sure anything I've seen mentioned so far will help with wells.
I suspect that lightning strikes to trees or the ground near the well pump's underground power feed wire, or even the wellhead area itself, may be the most likely cause of pump failure, not strikes at the house that feed through the breaker panel to the well pump.
If I'm right it would seen that some sort of surge protector installed near the well itself might help.

I've got one of those double-slot breaker box guys and have had no problems. If you're comfortable in the box, an easy DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.