SUV tire recommendation from Northern neighbors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

As for normal snow tires my personal favorite is the General Altimax Arctic (pinned for studs, but I run them studless). They are a lot better than Blizzaks in both treadwear and traction. Blizzaks are ok at first but wear out rapidly.

View attachment 258657
I remove my Blizzaks when it gets warm and the streets are bare,My Xwife would get about 60k Miles out of hers befor we bought her new ones,then i got the old ones,she drove the kid around most of the time so notrhing but the best for that car. The set i am running now is 2 from her first set bought 17 years ago and 2 from her last set bought 10 years ago.Her average driving was about 8K miles a winter and mine is a lot less.But the wore out Blizzaks still grab better than anything else i have ever driven.
I buy ,fix, and repair then drive the snot out of cars and trucks befor i sell them.So i get to try all kinds of tires over the last 23 years of selling tires,cars and trucks.Plus all the years of repairing other peoples vehicles and test driving them.
I have not found another tire that compares to the blizzaks for any winter condition.
But if you don't look after them they will dissapear in one summer of driving.

The winter tires will be coming off very soon. Looked at the 10-day forecast.

Think I'll get the new tires this week on my OEM wheels. Will do my front brakes at the same time since the inner pads look to be at the wear-limit spec.

As I posted above, my wife likes Blizzaks. I bought the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 since I drive more.

I wonder if the General winter tires have any connection to Gislaved, and excellent European winter tire. General and Gislaved are part of Continental AG.

Last edited:
… I'd go with the Crosscontact …

Stopped in Town Fair Tire this morning and ordered The Continental Crosscontact LX25. They'll get them from their wearhouse for Thursday.

Will swap our my winters for the A/S and do my front brakes as soon as it's just a few degrees warmer.

Town Fair Tire is a large tire chain here in the northeast. I used to go with my dad in the 1960s to what I think was their first shop in Stratford, CT.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Swapped out the Blizzaks for the A/S tires on my wife's Escape today. I am consistent. I bought her Continental CrossContact LX20 in 2017, the previous version of the LX25 I just bought for my Escape.

The Michelin tires that came on her Escape were getting low, but had to be replaced in 2017 because of sidewall cracking. The tire was recalled in some sizes, not her size.

Reactions: D8Chumley