Sweeping a liner connected to Blazeking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNtreewood

Jun 27, 2009
Scandia,MN
Hey all you seasoned BK owner's I have question for you...when sweeping the liner on my Princess insert what is the correct way to do it? The owners manual had no info on this and the lady I called at BK didn't have an answer she was real confident about. So I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm certain you must have the bypass door open, so then after your done brushing the liner do you shoe horn a shop vac hose up into the bypass door to get all the dust out or do you have to remove the catalyst too?

Any info would be great.

I had the by-pass open when i did it...and that's all I did.
Someone else said they could reach up behind and into the back area of that cat to clean..not sure if they used a vacuum or not.
I'll wait for a good answer right with you. Cheers!

I have a question. Why wouldn't you have the cat out to clean it at the same time? Really. Curious.

Cause you have to buy a new gasket every time..I dunno..most I talk to about it says not to worry about it if you're burning good wood.
Just lightly dust off the front of the cat with a soft bristle brush.
Maybe clean by instruction 2nd or 3rd year.
I think one guy on here is on his 5th year and has not taken it out.all fine he says...Pretty sure it was SolarandWind.

Instructions for stoves say to remove the pipe, place a bag over the pipe, brush pipe into the bag.
then vacuum around the bypass. re-connect pipe to stove.
Don't know if this is possible with an insert with out allot of work.
Call a chimney sweep & ask them.
stove manual, insert manual; clean chimney page (1st pic insert manual, 2nd stove manual)

Attachments

• 100_6954.jpg
    100_6954.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 100_6953.jpg
    100_6953.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 283
HotCoals said:
Someone else said they could reach up behind and into the back area of that cat to clean..not sure if they used a vacuum or not.

I'm going to follow the same setup you did. I should of looked closer at the arrangement before I installed it in the fireplace opening but from I remember the liner comes into the insert at a 45° angle so the dust should slide out the bypass door, I'll stick a mirror up their and see if it needs some vacuuming before calling it done. It was very tedious connecting the liner to the stove and I would not want to disconnect it until the stove needs replacement if at all possible. It was so tight with little room to work in.

Merry Christmas all!

MNtreewood said:
HotCoals said:

I'm going to follow the same setup you did. I should of looked closer at the arrangement before I installed it in the fireplace opening but from I remember the liner comes into the insert at a 45° angle so the dust should slide out the bypass door, I'll stick a mirror up their and see if it needs some vacuuming before calling it done. It was very tedious connecting the liner to the stove and I would not want to disconnect it until the stove needs replacement if at all possible. It was so tight with little room to work in.

Merry Christmas all!

Here is what you could do..

When you go to sweep the flue take the cat out..then you could use your hand or paint brush to clean the area behind the cat.
You could do this after you sweep the chimney with the by pass opened..then take the cat out and clean.
I think it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.