Sweeping bottom up: How to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I need to sweep my open fireplace - the chimney is about 20'. but is 30' off the ground. The top 10' is unsupported - I'm not going up there on a ladder - I'm not 100% sure it wouldn't fall down, and that exposure with no way to clip into a roof line isn't working for me...

So, I need to sweep bottom up - what do people do to protect furniture/themselves from the inevitable soot storm that's going to ensue?

I have go big shop vac hose at the bottom of the flue and blow the exhaust outside in case the filter wasn't complete.
I roll up the carpet and tape down some plastic and put down newspaper, etc.

There might be a more scientific way to block off the bottom to insure that nothing gets past, but I've had pretty good luck, esp with the fine stuff.
Mine is a relatively new corregated stainless 6" liner though.

Like the shop vac idea - mine is clay flue (on the open fireplace) so I'm expecting a big mess - I have wondered about building a polythene tent....

Status
Not open for further replies.