Sweeping my chimney with the T5 for the first time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
Ok, so the local sweeps want to charge me almost $200 for a sweep. I usually do it myself one year, then hire it done every other year. I cant afford that right now, so want to do it myself but I have a different stove now. My old stove (VC Resolute III) would simply brush top down and the build up would drop right down into the stove. With the Alderlea T5 they had to add a 45 in the pipe, and I'm not sure how to sweep it with the baffle. It is probably not a big deal, but I just want to make sure that I cam cleaning everything that needs it. The pipe does have a slip connector so I could disconnect the pipe if that helps the process. I have the brush, I usually borrow poles. I am thinking about buying the poles, but also leaning towards the sooteater. Any help on sweeping this setup would be very helpful. Thanks Steve!

No problem. Pull the pin holding the baffle (at the back top of the firebox under the baffle). Pull the baffle by lifting up in the rear, then dropping it out of the front of the stove. Put a baggie with a rubber band over the secondary air tube that fed the baffle to prevent crap from dropping down the tube. Sweep away. When you replace the baffle you need to replace the gasket around the secondary air tube before reinstalling the baffle. This comes from your dealer or you can make your own Hogwildz tied gasket out of 3/8" gasket material.

Do I have to remove the baffle for this? Is it ok if I unscre the pipe and slide it up enough to get a bucket under it? I thought that might be an even easier way.

Yes, you could do this. Though it will be a bit harder to clean any accumulation off the top of the baffle, it will work.

Is replacing that gasket a pretty easy thing to do?

sblattert said:

Gaskets are easy to replace... Though, I did just finish gasketing an Encore which requires two doors, the top griddle, the ash pan, ash pan door, cat access panel, pipe connector, and the entire back panel to have new gaskets. So, maybe repetition makes perfect.

But seriously, it's not hard to do.

sblattert said:

Totally easy. You just drop the new gasket in place around the rectangular secondary air feed pipe, then replace the baffle. No muss, no glue, no fuss. It takes less time to put this gasket in than it took you to read this posting.

Attachments

• IMG_0878web.jpg
    IMG_0878web.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 199
BeGreen said:
sblattert said:

Totally easy. You just drop the new gasket in place around the rectangular secondary air feed pipe, then replace the baffle. No muss, no glue, no fuss. It takes less time to put this gasket in than it took you to read this posting.

Wow. I feel like VC is just messing with me now to see how much work I'm willing to put into this wood burning this. :lol:

Awesome, thanks!!! I have to buy poles to attach to my brush, but after reading post on here about the sooteater I am contemplating buying that instead. Its not much more money than the poles. Any thoughts on which of these would be better? Either will pay for them selves the first season since a sweep will charge me $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.