Switching from corn to wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jt22

Nov 14, 2012
Hi,
I have a Harman PC45 that is brand new, it was given to us. I am told that it is set up to burn corn pellets, but I would like to burn wood pellets but I am trying to figure what I need to do in order to make that happen. I contacted two different dealers/installers about the job and they seem to be giving me two different ideas of what needs to be done. One said I need a wood pellet pot and the other only mentioned a different pipe at the exhaust...... Any ideas?

Welcome jt22, I'm sure the gang will stop in and say hello! Most will want pic's of your new toy too! ;)

I would keep the corn/multifuel exhaust as things down the road can change. Other fuels may become available. AFAIK its only the pellet pot you need to order.

Member bioburner has a pc45 and burns pellets with it. Hopefully he chimes in to help you.

I have two pc45s. Pellet pot has the larger holes to help blow clean things. Start a conversation with me and I can send pics of pot differances and some tweaks. Go with multifuel exaust and fresh air intake ASAP. There is a exaust fan plate for optimizing pellets too. The stoves are great. You got a great gift for now and the future. Welcome to forum.

Welcome to the Forums.

Bioburner will get you going down the right path.

Harmans are very nice stoves. To receive one as a gift is a blessing. I hope it serves you well, for years and years to come.

Hi,
I have a Harman PC45 that is brand new, it was given to us. I am told that it is set up to burn corn pellets, but I would like to burn wood pellets but I am trying to figure what I need to do in order to make that happen. I contacted two different dealers/installers about the job and they seem to be giving me two different ideas of what needs to be done. One said I need a wood pellet pot and the other only mentioned a different pipe at the exhaust...... Any ideas?
If you don't plan on burning corn regular pellet pipe is cheaper. I have a new pellet kit for the 45. It is a different exh fan plate and a different pot. Burning pellets with these two pieces will boost top btus to 50,000 rather then 45,000.

So basically both dealers were telling me only one part that I needed and I do need both a different pellet pot and a different exhaust. Is that correct? Sorry this is our first stove and I am not to familiar with them yet and just don't want to be paying for extra parts I don't need to get it installed.

>I did some more research and found out that what I need is new burn pot end gate, and a new combustion blower inlet ring that come as a kit from Harman, but not an entirely new pellet pot.... does that seem accurate?

Thanks all

So basically both dealers were telling me only one part that I needed and I do need both a different pellet pot and a different exhaust. Is that correct? Sorry this is our first stove and I am not to familiar with them yet and just don't want to be paying for extra parts I don't need to get it installed.

>I did some more research and found out that what I need is new burn pot end gate, and a new combustion blower inlet ring that come as a kit from Harman, but not an entirely new pellet pot.... does that seem accurate?

Thanks all[/quot

Measure the holes in the burn pot (use a drill bit) corn is 1/16" pellet is 1/8". Use the big one. The exhaust blower cover for corn has a small hole in it, about an inch and a half. The pellet cover has a much larger hole maybe 3". The part number for this cover crosses over to the one used on a P61 if you can't find find one. Big hole in the pot, big hole in the cover., feed rate about 4 and let it rock. Great stove.

You can burn pellets with your corn pot or the second pot the send with the stove and you can also use your agitator when burning pellets. The plate that goes in front of the exh fan is all you really need. That extra pot and end cap is made so the ashes get pushed over the edge when burning pellets but I never had good luck doing that. The most trouble free way was just switch plates in front of the fan and leave the pot and agitator alone. It is the cheapest too.
For that matter you can burn pellets with what you have very successfully. The only advantage with that new plate is it creats 50,000 instead of 45,000 btu

Status
Not open for further replies.