SWITCHING FROM PROPANE FIREPLACE TO PELLET INSERT QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJAY

Dec 5, 2010
WISCONSIN
I HAVE A HEATILATER DIRECT VENT PROPANE FIREPLACE I PUT IN WHEN I BUILT MY HOME 14 YEARS AGO. THE INSIDE HAS A STONE FRONT FROM THE BOTTOM TO TOP OF OUR CATHEDRAL CEILING. THE OUTSIDE HAS A CHASE BUILT ON. IT IS A DIRECT VENT SO NO CHIMMENY GOING OUT THE TOP. I WANT TO PULL OUT THE PROPANE FP AND PUT IN AN ENGLANDER 25-EPI PELLET INSERT. AFTER PULLING OUT THE OLD FP, I WILL RELINE THE INSIDE (BASICALLY BUILD A BOX) WITH DURA ROCK SHEETS (DO I NEED TO COVER THE DURAROCK WITH TIN?) THEN I PLAN ON PUTTING IN THE INSERT AND VENT IT THROUGH THE BACK OF THE CHASE WITH AN AC-3000 PELLET VENT KIT AND ALSO ATTACH AN AIR INTAKE IN THE BACK. I WILL REMOVE THE OLD FP VENTING. THE MEASUREMENTS OF THE FRONT OF MY OLD FP ARE 37" TALL AND 47" WIDE. THE OUTSIDE CHASE IS EVAN WIDER, SO THE BOX I BUILD WILL HAVE PLEANTY OF ROOM TO MEET ANY OF THE CLEARENCIES FOR THE NEW PELLET INSERT. MY QUESTION IS, DOES ALL THIS SOUND LIKE IT WILL WORK MEETING CODE OR DOES ANYONE SEE ANY PROBLEMS I AM GOING TO RUN INTO OR NEED TO DO?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Make sure you have provisions to be able to pull your stove out EASILY for cleaning and service...

Check with your local building inspector (if you have one) for any special requirements. many inspectors are unfamiliar with pellet stoves and may not know what to inspect for... be prepared.

Do you have a mantel above the unit? Check your clearances for above and front.

I had gone through exactly what you are. I did not build a "box" around the insert because of the clearances that I had. Also my insert has a zero clearance box on it. I pulled out all of the direct venting from the LP unit and put in pellet venting, following the same route as the LP unit. Mine vented up and out the roof. The standard surround on the Castile would not fit into the opening that I have. I took the surround to a local HVAC shop and had them cut it down and rebend it for me.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on your install.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

I just did the same only mine had a wood fireplace with pipe to the top that had a propane conversion. Propane had become to costly for me to use the fireplace.

I have a quad castile insert now. I just went out the back.
I did not need the dura rock only drywall my opening was actually much larger than required by my pellet unit so I had no clerence problems.

the manual for the insert should give u the info for that senerio with that stove.

I did the same as you, (removed corner LP unit in a heatilator box) I installed a Quad Castile insert and vented out the side. Did not need durock or tin inside the chase, just drywall. Make sure you have plenty of insulation so you get no drafts. As others have sugested, read the install manual for the stove you want to purchase, it will give you clearances and acceptable materials. It has worked out great for me. Love the pellets.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON HOW IT GOES AND ADD SOME PICS WHEN I'M DONE. I WAS WONDERING ON THE VENT KIT I CAN GET A HIGH ALTITUDE VENT KIT, 4" FOR $100 LESS THEN THE REGULA 3" KIT. DOES IT MATTER IF I USE A HIGH ALTITUDE KIT VERSES THE REGULAR 3" VENT KIT? NOT SURE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS.
THANKS AGAIN.

probly wont matter if its a short horizontal vent.
I believe my dealer only uses 4" (selkirk direct temp)

I used selkirk from my dealer. it cost me $120 for a adaptor pipe (twist lock) to go on the stove a 3' section and a end cap and the wall thimbol. I could have used a 2' section and it would have been long enough as the chase outside the house was 2' deep and the stove was about 14" deep.

everything works good and its not staining the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.