Switzerland anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
I know some of you have either lived or travelled to Europe and I'm looking for opinions on an upcoming trip in the later half of June.

We have a total of 18 days in Europe in which 10 will be spent in Switzerland. What are the best places to see without visiting multiple similar spots?

Lauterbrunnen is a must see, but otherwise we fly into Zurich from London and intend to leave by rail back to Paris. (London and Paris chosen due to flight costs from western Canada).
Zermatt is high on the list, and we're considering spending some time in Zurich (wife needs to see the Lindt Chocolate museum) and possibly Geneva.
Lucerne is intriguing, but probably not enough to waste time on.
The glacier express seems cool, but see the travelling with a baby part below though.
What else is there that should also be seen? Since we are spending the remaining 8 days in London and Paris hanging out in big cities isn't high on my list, and we'll be travelling with our (at the time) 18 month old daughter which will restrict us somewhat (not that the nightlife is our thing anymore anyway).

I know there's a million things to do, but anyone got any other ideas, or ways to narrow this down?

I guess on that note, what about must or don't sees in Paris and London.

Maybe some day hikes in the mountains? I'm not sure about rental car availability or public transportation to those areas over there.

Reactions: ABMax24
My wife traveled to Europe a lot for work. Pretty much everywhere. Churchill War Rooms was the first thing I thought of that isn't mentioned a lot. My wife thought it was really interesting.

My approach has always been to not go see the sights. You can see those anywhere (online, tv, nat. geo).
But to feel the atmosphere, culture, nature. E.g. in Paris, don't go to the Eiffel tower (other than passing by, a quick pic), but spend 3 hrs wandering around Mont Martre, have a coffee, some lunch in a hole in the wall place. Interact with people - after all they made the country/place and they make the place/culture be what it is. Seeing the sights equates to seeing the symptoms rather than the cause.

Then in Switzerland, the interesting part (to me, but tastes differ) is not the cities, but what's outside of the cities. Rent a place in a small village, buy your bread from the local bakery on the way to hiking whatever trail they have. Do go up a mountain to take in the valley you're staying in that day or two from above. It'll be fantastic, even if it's not the Matterhorn.

London I despise; too big, noisy, crowded, and not nearly as relaxed as Paris.

Maybe some day hikes in the mountains? I'm not sure about rental car availability or public transportation to those areas over there.

That's what we were thinking, spend some time outdoors.

London and Paris we'll just use public transit. Switzerland I'm undecided so far, I can go most places by train, but if there is somewhere off the beaten path worth visiting I'm okay with renting a car. Although Switzerland has some car restrictions, Zermatt for example does not permit cars in the town.

Took day trip to Lake Lugano. Loved it. It was January so not busy. Great restaurants.

My wife just said she loved Giverny, a short train ride from Paris

My wife throwing out ideas behind me ... Windsor ... Bath ... "I definitely would suggest trying to go to the theater one night in London" ...

"Of course, afternoon tea at the restaurant upstairs at Fortnum & Mason (Piccadilly). You have to go upstairs to the restaurant for that one."

That's less formal, more casual than the touristy one on the ground floor. A former colleague of mine from England told my wife about it. He said the English go to the upstairs one. ;)

"It is the 4th floor. I was right."

My wife is an Anglophile, and you got her started. ==c

Last edited:

"Really expensive, though. It really went up in price."

If there's time, go to Oxford. University town - and way nicer than e.g. Princeton (even if A. Einstein walked around in Princeton). And get a proper beer mug - an imperial pint (at 568 ml rather than the US pint of 473 ml).

IMG_20230301_121700354.jpg

Not sure if Imperial College also has these.
Mine is kept in the freezer, so it's ready for use; they are heavy and can warm up beer quite quickly. And while the English may like lukewarm beer, I don't.

Both are nice. But I'm on the Oxford side :p

(I don't row tho - sailing is better :) ).

My approach has always been to not go see the sights. You can see those anywhere (online, tv, nat. geo).
But to feel the atmosphere, culture, nature. E.g. in Paris, don't go to the Eiffel tower (other than passing by, a quick pic), but spend 3 hrs wandering around Mont Martre, have a coffee, some lunch in a hole in the wall place. Interact with people - after all they made the country/place and they make the place/culture be what it is. Seeing the sights equates to seeing the symptoms rather than the cause.

Then in Switzerland, the interesting part (to me, but tastes differ) is not the cities, but what's outside of the cities. Rent a place in a small village, buy your bread from the local bakery on the way to hiking whatever trail they have. Do go up a mountain to take in the valley you're staying in that day or two from above. It'll be fantastic, even if it's not the Matterhorn.

London I despise; too big, noisy, crowded, and not nearly as relaxed as Paris.

We're aiming to do a bit of both, but there's definitely a lot of "touristy" stops being added to the list. I'm certainly looking to see the varying landscapes and architecture that we don't have here. Although local food is definitely a priority.

You're advise though is exactly what I'm looking for, the cities are intriguing, but I'm considering removing our couple nights in Geneva for somewhere else.

Took day trip to Lake Lugano. Loved it. It was January so not busy. Great restaurants.

That's an interesting thought, I wasn't planning on going that far south, but I guess we could fly into Lugano and start from there instead of Zurich.

Yes, unfortunately I don't know Switzerland well enough. Hiked around a few times, but both in particular to recommend.

My wife just said she loved Giverny, a short train ride from Paris

Intriguing, I've considered an additional stop in France, but I'd probably score more points with the wife if it was a picturesque vineyard along a lake or river.

My wife throwing out ideas behind me ... Windsor ... Bath ... "I definitely would suggest trying to go to the theater one night in London" ...

I almost forgot about Windsor, but Bath is unfortunately going to be too far out of the way.

"Of course, afternoon tea at the restaurant upstairs at Fortnum & Mason (Piccadilly). You have to go upstairs to the restaurant for that one."

That's less formal, more casual than the touristy one on the ground floor. A former colleague of mine from England told my wife about it. He said the English go to the upstairs one. ;)

"It is the 4th floor. I was right."

My wife is an Anglophile, and you got her started. ==c

Yes, I've also been told afternoon tea is a must, I'll check into that place. Thanks

If there's time, go to Oxford. University town - and way nicer than e.g. Princeton (even if A. Einstein walked around in Princeton). And get a proper beer mug - an imperial pint (at 568 ml rather than the US pint of 473 ml).

View attachment 310462
Not sure if Imperial College also has these.
Mine is kept in the freezer, so it's ready for use; they are heavy and can warm up beer quite quickly. And while the English may like lukewarm beer, I don't.

Thought about that too, certainly architecture unlike anything I'm accustomed to.

Where in Switzerland will you be? My wife used to go a lot. Worked for Novartis.

Switzerland portion currently looks something like this:

Zurich
Lauterbrunnen
Zermatt
Geneva

But we're considering dropping Geneva, and could start in Laguna instead, or go to Chamonix France, or somewhere else.