sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayburn

Jan 21, 2009
East Vincent Pa
How good of a burning wood is sycamore? I was able to score a load left along the road by tree crew> Never burned it before anybody have any expierience with it?

I have a bunch and i like it. It burns like a softer maple (i think it is a maple)

Get as much as you can.

ITs next years wood Ill split and and stack it this weekend. Just dont have any experience with it.

I hope you have a hydrolic splitter.Tough stuff to split by hand.

I got a 27 ton splitter. Wood seems heavy in weight and the age rings are tight.

There is one of these right next to my house and I HATE it. Its a very dirty tree. If it burns well Im getting my chainsaw out.. EVIL LAUGH

It ain't a good burner like locust or oak. I use it in spring and fall, when it gets cold outside I leave it in the pile and grab the oak, the cherry, the locust, the ash, etc.

I tried to split some sycamore today and I've had an easier time splitting crotch wood than this stuff, very tough! Tried to spilt an 8" piece and after three of my best whacks, still wasn't split. The bole wood (trunk) was a bit easier, but still tough stuff.

I burned quite a bit of it this year. First time, mostly storm drops from last spring. It burns well, dries pretty fast too. It is a groan to split, kinda like Elm. I wouldn't turn it down for free, nothing against it at all, the heating value is just a little less then Ash. I just wish it would split & stack straight, although what I had was all branch wood so there wasn't any chance of that.

rayburn said:
How good of a burning wood is sycamore? I was able to score a load left along the road by tree crew> Never burned it before anybody have any expierience with it?

Most people with experience cutting/spliting Sycamore don't like it because it is soooo heavy when green, and will put a hurtin' on a good hydraulic splitter.

Don't even think about using a maul on that stuff, super stringy, nasty stuff with funky grain. It does burn OK though.

Status
Not open for further replies.