System Layout Drawing, Schematic, or Diagram thread?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlshrk

Mar 4, 2008
VA
I have been seeing in some threads that people have been kind enough to post system layout drawings. It is really interesting to see what is done by different folks in far off places. I am seeing many different and great ideas on ways to accomplish many things. I am finding that some folks have had similar ideas to mine and others have found problems with other things I was thinking of trying. Those are possibly the most valuable tidbits of info. Not the resolution to an issue, but rather, just the warning flag that someone is nice enough to throw out there!

Anyway, the only issue is that schematics are hidden and spread about quite a bit. Is there a thread somewhere in the forum where everyone just posts their system layout drawings, schematics, or diagrams? I am new to the site so maybe I just have not found it yet. Or possibly there is a need for a thread to do this.

It seems like, at least in my area, to install a wood gasifier and hydronic heating system will be a do it yourself adventure as no vendors have a clue. There are plumbers that say they can try and HVAC vendors that say the same, but why should I pay them to train themselves on my dime? It just costs too much to have a vendor from further north to come down and do it. However, the systems make too much sense to no go that route.

It seems like everybody has a list of lessons learned as well, but that could be a different topic. Just trying to avoid whatever possible in the "design" stage.

Hopefully your search has ended. I've moved it over to the boiler room. There are some good folks here to help you out.

Thanks for moving the thread, BG.

Typically, the way we do it is for the poor, hapless victim to post his or her diagram, and then the rest of us start taking potshots at it. Said "diagram" can be anything from a CAD graphic to a scan of a rough sketch on a cocktail napkin. Whatever works best for you. Picture what you're trying to accomplish, in other words, and then let us help you make it work.

For a starting point, I would recommend the sticky at the top of the Boiler Room main page about Primary/Secondary piping.

And most of us have learned the hard way that simpler is almost always better.

Back on page 11 is my post.." 2nd year burning eko 40", there are some pics of my set up and others who posted diagrams
it may help. Keith

Here is my setup...but I cannot yet vouch for how well it works! I went through a host of schematics in the thread "Boiler piping schematic with pressurized storage" and ended up with the simplest of the versions which is shown here. This CAD layout roughly puts the components where they ended up in reality versus the others, which were clearer diagrams but more confusing to me when piping. I also drew 3D sketches of everything to make sure I ordered the right peices. However, I've made 3 large orders from pexsupply.com and am still short a few tidbits! The pictures show progress to date, and hopefully can be matched up to the diagram by first time viewers. I have 1000 gallons of pressurized storage on the system. This setup is still open to the potshots Eric referenced, I welcome any criticism up until I fill her with water!

Attachments

• ekoreal-Model.jpg
    ekoreal-Model.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC_0017 (2).jpg
    DSC_0017 (2).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 506
Interesting! I'm looking to achieve a similar thing but with only 2 or 3 pumps. Almost have got it ironed out but am trying to find a simple mechanical way to get rid of the single zone valve needed in my design. Extracting heat the wrong way out of my hx would work great but I want to get it all right off the start.

tuolumne said:
Here is my setup...but I cannot yet vouch for how well it works! I went through a host of schematics in the thread "Boiler piping schematic with pressurized storage" and ended up with the simplest of the versions which is shown here. This CAD layout roughly puts the components where they ended up in reality versus the others, which were clearer diagrams but more confusing to me when piping. I also drew 3D sketches of everything to make sure I ordered the right peices. However, I've made 3 large orders from pexsupply.com and am still short a few tidbits! The pictures show progress to date, and hopefully can be matched up to the diagram by first time viewers. I have 1000 gallons of pressurized storage on the system. This setup is still open to the potshots Eric referenced, I welcome any criticism up until I fill her with water!

Thanks for the input folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.