T6 to the rescue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
It was windy all day yesterday with some strong gusts over 40mph. Around 4pm my UPS beeped a couple times so I knew we might lose power. At 6:30pm I went down and got the mail and noticed the road was closed just after our driveway. Then I saw why, a line was down. Oh, oh. I told my wife what I saw and started a fire. Temps were dropping and although it was only 45, I suspected it was going to get colder. My wife is busy prepping a nice feast of roast chicken for dinner. As I am starting the fire, I hear Oh no! Moans emanate from the kitchen. It's still daylight, so I don't see what the ruckus is about. I go in the kitchen to see her fuming, in the dark and no time on the oven display. Hmmm.

Dinner is ruined! What am I to do now, throw it out? She groaned. She had been prepping this dish for awhile and I knew it was going to be good. "Don't worry honey, we can cook it on the stove.", I proclaimed. She gave me a look like, right Mr. Boy Scout. I put some extra kindling on the fire and had the top up to 400 in short order. Then I covered the big cast iron casserole with tin foil, swung open the trivet top and placed it on the stove top. Set a timer to 20 min. so that I could start getting the Coleman lantern and emergency lights out. After 20 minutes she came by to inspect as I flipped over the the chicken breasts. They were hot and the juices were starting to simmer the potatoes, onions and tomatoes very nicely. She looked relieved, but still skeptical. Stove top was now at 600. 20 minutes later I flipped the chicken over again. She put a meat thermometer into the thickest breast and voila, 160 degrees. I let it simmer another 10 minutes to finish cooking the potatoes. The house was smelling good. She had good Coleman light in the kitchen and pulled together a salad. The dish came out great, perfectly done and we had a nice candlelight dinner. Then I brought my computer UPS and hooked it up to her little kitchen tv (low power LCD) and we watched 24 in a cozy, warm, glowing house. Power came on at 6am, but we were still warm in spite of the 40F temps outside. Love this stove.

Just another reason I chose wood over a pellet stove. You just never know when you are going to be on your own to get it done. Good story!

Chili sounded good yesterday when it was cold but supposed to hit 90 today, not chili weather.

Good deal BG. We had the power go out for a few minutes but it came back before I needed to get the genset purring. I worried most about my chicks growing out under a heat lamp, they can freak out and freeze when it suddenly goes dark.

Still 40 this morning and blowing like mad. Send us some of that 90 degree weather sixman.

gotta love the cooktop surface... btw, my wife gives me the same look whenever she catches me cooking something on the already hot summit cooktop instead of turning on the elec range.

We have to enjoy the 90's while they last since the 100's are not far off. Should be in the low 90's all week. Seems strange to be doing a new stove install while sweating in the attic but it will be nice to have it ready to fire off when that first cold spell hits. The wife is dreading when I get it finished cause she knows that I will have to build a test fire in it as soon as I am done which will probably run us all out of the house to sit under the shade tree.

I love the multiple cooking options offered by the stove top. Want it to simmer, run it on the trivet. Want it to get cooking, put it on the stovetop.

There was one casualty though, an errant tomato chunk got away from me. Burning again tonight, so it will have to wait. I'll have to add that to my stove cleaning chores in July.

Oh ya! Wood stove cooks supper! Another one of the benefits of heating with wood. Sorry about the loss of power though.

My UPS beeped a couple of times but no power loss. We miss cooking on the stove since the weather warmed but it is cooling again and I see some possible frost again towards the weekend.

I can hardly believe all the wind we've had so far this spring though. Yesterday I guess the wind was approaching hurricane force to our NW with the cold front moving towards us.

BeGreen said:
I love the multiple cooking options offered by the stove top. Want it to simmer, run it on the trivet. Want it to get cooking, put it on the stovetop.

I like the Alderlea's swing-out design. I get the same function from the step-top on the Endeavor, (cooking below, warming on top), but I really like the look of the PE when not in cooking mode. They offer enamel yet?

The nice thing about the swing out design is it's versatility. If you want a gentle warmth for raising bread dough or making yogurt, swing it out and away from the stove. I haven't tried this, but it looks like it would also be handy for drying out wet socks and mittens without dripping on the stove.

So far, I haven't seen anything yet on their website about the enamel option for the Alderleas. I check every few weeks.

The T5 only is supposed to be available in black or brown in August.

Going to look at a PE T6 tomorrow. Hope I'm making a good choice. Seems so after reading reviews on here from everyone.Sold our log home to buy a farm and farmhouse with more acres. I'm leaving behind a one year new boiler shed, Paxo 60 with 1600 gallons of storage. I guess, been there done that, now back to a wood stove in the house. farmhouse has a spring fed gravity water supply, with great water pressure. So if we lose power, no more generator to run. We'll have water, heat and a stove to cook on. I'll look forward to the simple life again. House has been stripped to the timber frames and all redone. My inspector said he would even buy it. Has a place for a woodstove already. My paxo set up is pictured on Marc's site at AHONA heat. New people are getting a great set up. Life goes on. Think my dogs and cat will love the wood stove too. :)

Best of luck with the move, new home and stove. Sounds like you have made some good choices. Hope it all works out great for you. Post some pictures and get some wood split and stored soon. EPA stoves like nice dry wood.

I sure wish someone around here had a T6 I could look at. I know it is just a like the T5 but bigger but I'd still like to see it before I buy it.

BeGreen,
Thanks, I'll keep you posted. There's about three years or more of tops sitting in one field , from having part of the woods logged at one time, on the farm. Some nice hickory trees in the woods too........Charlie

Not to overstep here but I have one display T-5 left for sale. Never had the bricks in it.

I always give a super discount to Hearth.com members.

Eric

Being interested in a T6 model, I went to a dealer by me and got a look at a T5 he had on the floor. What a nice thought out stove. They even have an open slot on one corner of the ash lip, that you sweep ashes to and they fall down into the ash pan you slide out from below. Plus it has an ash dump built into the fire box. Slick. Dealer has sold the PE line of stoves for over 25 years. He said they go out the door and has rarely had people come back for any parts. Sounds like these stoves are pleasure to own.

I had a T5 installed last Nov. I am a total newbie at burning wood, and it was a pleasure to use. I came home from work one day and my wife was loading her up and damping down like a pro. What a difference in the quality of heat vs my downstairs pellet stove. Again this stove is all I know, but would highly recommend it to anyone. Also, I called PE to ask a question and the lady that helped me was a pleasure to deal with and highly knowledgeable. I think it's a great choice.

It's nice to hear such positive feed back about Pacifie Energy. I guess there are still companies ,people, who still care about the quality of their work and products. I guess they speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.