Table Sort of Off Topic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
So because our pellet stove is in our dining area it has greatly limited our room in there. So we decided to get a table that can be smaller most of the time and can open up when we need it. We really wanted a gateleg table but didn't find one that was close enough or cheap enough. So we found a $50 drop leaf table on a local facebook page. So far I've just started sanding it but I'm already happy with how its looking. The plan is to stain it with a black stain then find some wood chairs to do the same to.
This is how we bought it
table.jpg

This is just partially sanded.
tablepartsanded.jpg

This is the whole top sanded.
tablesanded.jpg

That's a great idea and a good project. My whole house is small so I am always looking for ways to maximize space. Good price too, furniture can be crazy expensive. Have fun with your project.

briggsy13 said:
So because our pellet stove is in our dining area it has greatly limited our room in there. So we decided to get a table that can be smaller most of the time and can open up when we need it. We really wanted a gateleg table but didn't find one that was close enough or cheap enough. So we found a $50 drop leaf table on a local facebook page. So far I've just started sanding it but I'm already happy with how its looking. The plan is to stain it with a black stain then find some wood chairs to do the same to.
This is how we bought it
table.jpg

This is just partially sanded.
tablepartsanded.jpg

This is the whole top sanded.
tablesanded.jpg
There's some beautiful grain in there. Rethink that dark black stain (Jacobean, is one color in MinWax). Go for a light stain or better yet just a natural poly finish.

I have to agree on the light stain. The grain is too beautiful to hide!!

wow it is real wood
do not see that very often anymore
personally I like the black idea
our is a black satin finish

Thanks everyone! I too was almost second guessing the black cause the grain is beautiful. But I'm hoping one coat will still allow it to shine through. Plus I really don't want natural again. Its what we have now and I really want a new look. I'll keep you posted on how things go!
And yes REAL wood. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.