tadpole gasket installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokee2602

Oct 20, 2008
central illinois
I need some help with the installation of a tadpole gasdket for my quadra-fire santa-fe insert. Do I need stove cement for it? I have the replacement gasket with the tape on the flat side. It has the two rods to hold the glass in place. First do I keep the airwash gasket towards the front or inward toward the fire that is already on it? I guess the tape goes on the front side of the glass and then the rope part wraps around to the inside? Do the rods hold it on or do I cement it to the glass? If not what holds it on the top? Any help is much appreciated! I don't want to screw it up it cost too much!! Pictures would be awesome!!

Just reverse what you do to take the old one off! Yes, the tape edges go on the outside of the glass between the glass and the frame, then fold around to the inside. The rods hold the glass in. From what I recall (I've modified mine), you shouldn't need cement at all. Air wash is not gasketed, it is either on top or bottom of the inside of the door. This is from what I remember and is what my Castile is like, so not for sure on yours.

I agree that you needed to look at it before taking it apart.

On my Mt Vernon, non AE, there is no gasket cement used. The tadpole gasket should of come with heat resistance tape that is used to wrap the ends of the gasket that was cut, which is both ends. My door glass sits against flat gaskets all the way around on the door side. The glass must be cleaned well and I had to cut 45's at 2 locations to form a 90 degree turn. This was in the upper left and right. Be careful here as the gasket cuts need to be accurate and match up. The gasket then gets taped onto the edge of the glass with a very small amount going onto the back side where the flat gaskets are and the rest onto the glass edge. You can gage how this all works by laying it all out before you start sticking the tape anywhere. You will see how far the gasket should wrap around the glass based on where the rods have to go. The gasket does not go under the rods on mine. I also had to punch a hole in the flat section, where the tape is, to make room for the 2 rods. This was done where the flat and round section of the gasket meets. The bottom on mine gets no gasket at all other then the flat one on the backside that is mounted to the door frame. This is the airwash system so in reality there is only a gasket on 3 sides which are the top, and both left and right sides.

I used RTV sealant on the cut areas of my gasket.

Yours may very well be different but I would think you should of been able to see how it went together where it was taken apart, or if you didn't take it apart then look closely to see the markings on the glass and maybe that will give you a hint.

You might be able to ask a dealer how it goes if you take the door and gasket to them but keep in mind they may not be willing to help you out since that is what they are in business for.

Pretty much know how it goes on my only question now is the for the air wash. There is a thin gasket at the bottom of the glass for the air wash, does it go toward the door or toward the fire? Thanks for the info it helped me figure it out. The other gasket was so frayed I couldn't get a good look when taking it off it ripped apart.

Mine is towards the door. It goes between the glass and the door frame. My airwash draws air in from the bottom of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.