Taiwan stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aknight

Dec 11, 2007
East Central IN
I have read many negative comments about the Dutchwest stoves from Tiawan. I just wondered if some were good. I have a FA288CCL and it does great for me. Been burning it three years and have had no trouble at all. It heats my house well and with the catylist engaged I can get about eight to ten hours burn time out of a full box. The only concern i have is cracking. I havent seen any cracks yet but many posts site the fact that these stoves are prone to crack, so my question is where will these cracks start and how can I prevent them if this model is in fact prone to cracking. Many thanks and love all the great info.

The later models were not as bad as the earlier ones.

I don't think they are more or less prone to cracking than many other stoves.

If yours is serving you well, then so be it. One of the many reasons the brand has a bad name is that the guy who ran it eventually "suckered" Vermont Castings, ending up driving the Founders of that Company out of business! The company spent more on marketing than they did on stoves. The guy was a super salesman, which is why he got VC to pay him many millions for what turned out to be nothing (or less than nothing). VC had to end up starting from scratch with lots of debt.

But that is just history and trivia at this point. If your stove is serving you well, just keep up with it (gaskets, etc.) and you should be fine.

Hey thanks for the very fast reply. You have an great forum with great info on it. The stove does serve me well, had a little trouble running it a first (even after reading owners mannual). Now i have it figured out and love it. Thanks again for the fast reply and great site.

Status
Not open for further replies.