Take care reviving wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen alot of that this year. People firing up old stoves, filling their homes with smoke then calling me to come remove the nesting materials etc. I've also saved alot of folks alot of trouble, the ones wise enough to call for an inspection prior to firing. Lots of dangerous installs. The second house this year exploded the other day, inspector says the propane lines are in question. The first one was a local stove dealer who is a complete moron and shouldn't be trusted to change a light bulb let alone install a stove, ran his own gas line. Kaboom nothing but tooth picks left of Bob's brand new cabin. This one I wouldn't be surprised to learn he had a hand in as well. The sickening part is that this time someone died. The inspectors have told me for years that "we can't do anyting" "how can we take away a man's lively hood" blah blah.

Nothing yet. They haven't even given an official cause. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I read the article. They did say in the article that there were "discrepencies in the homes propane system" and that there was hearsay about the residents smelling LP prior to the explosion. The husband lived and is in pretty bad shape, their 17 year old grand daughter fortunately wasn't home at the time. Scary stuff. Really sobering when you look at a debris field that used to be someones life and realize its all gone more than likely due to shoddy workmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.