Taking energy tax credit for woodstove using TaxAct (or similar software)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FGZ

Nov 19, 2010
N.Shore MA
Has anyone filed for the (up to)$1500 credit for 2010 using TaxAct / TurboTax / TaxCut or similar software? I'm working on my FY10 taxes and decided to use the online version of TaxAct. It was going pretty smoothly until I didn't see any options for a wood stove under the energy credits section.

Let me know if there was a trick to getting it to recognize your purchase. All I see are credits for insulation, windows, geothermal wells, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Is there an option for heating appliances (ie. boilers, furnaces etc). That is what I filed mine under.

With TaxAct, under the "Federal Q and A" tab
Select the "Other Credits" tab and a drop down menu will appear.
Select the "Residential Energy Credits".
Continue past the "Nonbusiness Energy Property - Qualified Improvements"
Under the "Nonbusiness Energy Property - Energy Property Costs" enter your $ amount in the "Energy-efficient building property" line.

Thanks a ton guys, this will save me a lot of time tonight!

Actually you need to thank my wife. She did the taxes for us this year. No problem though. Best of luck on getting a big refund from Uncle Sam!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.