Taking the last Oak down without a chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I have been clearing and leveling this spot for a pole barn for several months now. I have been debating on this last Oak for quite awhile. I liked the way it looked but it was just going to be a few feet from the pole barn and it was even close enough to land on the house. It so happened my one neighbor was having work done and this guy had some nice equipment. I asked him if he would like to make a few extra bucks and remove some stumps and this last Oak. He was hesitant because it could fall on the house. I climbed the tree up to the Y and put a strong rope on it then pulled it tight with my Bobcat in the distance. It took some digging with the claw you see but finally went, root ball and all. I already have a bunch of logs ready for milling so this bad boy is just ending up in my stacks. There were some big rounds I could hardly roll into the Bobcat. Equipment can sure come in handy. Hopefully will get the pole barn started soon now that the stumps are gone.

Attachments

• digging.jpg
    digging.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 600
  • going.jpg
    going.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 611
  • gone.jpg
    gone.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 613
Like my neighbor say's "If ya got 'chinery, use 'chinery.".

Yep, heavy equipment sure is nice to have. My farmer friends who hook me up all the time have a wheel loader with a grapple on it. Awesome for loading the big rounds, and getting logs out for easy cutting.

Looks like some nice burning there. Tall and straight.

BB, your neighbor could be a redneck, but I like it.

Jeff, yes it was as straight as an arrow, probably over 80 feet high since the width of the level area is almost 40 feet. One strange thing is at the crotch it actually held water over the decades. I guess the branches grew together. When it hit the ground there was a wet patch that looked like oil, I did not know if I forgot to put the oil cap on my chainsaw or one of the Bobcats sprung a leak, or we struck oil. When I cut the Y with the chain saw the messy water went all over me.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I have been clearing and leveling this spot for a pole barn for several months now. I have been debating on this last Oak for quite awhile. I liked the way it looked but it was just going to be a few feet from the pole barn and it was even close enough to land on the house. It so happened my one neighbor was having work done and this guy had some nice equipment. I asked him if he would like to make a few extra bucks and remove some stumps and this last Oak. He was hesitant because it could fall on the house. I climbed the tree up to the Y and put a strong rope on it then pulled it tight with my Bobcat in the distance. It took some digging with the claw you see but finally went, root ball and all. I already have a bunch of logs ready for milling so this bad boy is just ending up in my stacks. There were some big rounds I could hardly roll into the Bobcat. Equipment can sure come in handy. Hopefully will get the pole barn started soon now that the stumps are gone.

GAWN, looks good. How big is the pole barn going to be?

zap

Such a civilized way to drop a tree.

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

GAWN, looks good. How big is the pole barn going to be?

zap

Hi ZAP, it is going to be 24 by 40. A double car garage in the front and a single car out of the back side. The back is where I am going to store the Bobcat, ATV and lawn tractor. I hope to clear out my bottom garage and eventually turn it into a wood shop for my retired years.

That's a good way to get things done! I've had a neighbor knock over several trees using just his tractor and front end loader. One time we took a tree down that was right by the house. Big back hoe and chain pulling away from the house and me cutting the tree. Worked good and no damage.

That also looks like some excellent firewood.

Backwoods Savage said:
That's a good way to get things done! I've had a neighbor knock over several trees using just his tractor and front end loader. One time we took a tree down that was right by the house. Big back hoe and chain pulling away from the house and me cutting the tree. Worked good and no damage.

That also looks like some excellent firewood.
Thanks Dennis, always appreciate your comments. It is nice to get rid of the stump with the tree.

Big John deare Tractor and a front loader what we had! Now its all skill with some reading the greens if you will!

It's amazing what you can push over when you can reach up high on the tree. And you can tell the guys who do it all the time too...they have it down to an art....dig a little here...push a little there and before you know it the tree is horizontal.

lukem said:
It's amazing what you can push over when you can reach up high on the tree. And you can tell the guys who do it all the time too...they have it down to an art....dig a little here...push a little there and before you know it the tree is horizontal.
Lukem, it is a very controlled drop too since with the big root ball it does not go over in a hurry. You control with the push where it is going. This guy had it down and with the claw finger he could cut the roots like a knife. A little here, a little there, if it was not ready then a little deeper a a little wider. The tree takes the root ball out when it falls. Now what you do with the stump is another matter, I wish we could just burn them.

Most of the guys I know who do this type of work will just dig a big hole and bury the root ball if they aren't hauling it off. It will settle some, but not as bad as you'd think.

I have thought of digging a big hole for all the branches and stumps, but it would have to be a giant hole( like 50 feet by 50 feet by 8 feet deep) I have been trying to burn as many branches as possible. So far the neighbors have not complained. It is funny you can have a fire pit but other burning is prohibited. I will just have some marshmellows handy and a beer to indicate it is just my firepit.

Maybe some big hot dogs? Big fire, big dogs to roast. lol Maybe get some baloney to roast....

Status
Not open for further replies.