Tales of the Pit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outerlimits

Nov 25, 2010
West MI
After avoiding cherry pits for years, I decided to try them lately. I burned the pits years ago straight up, so this time I wanted to try mixing with pellets. I am really impressed with the results. I didn't like them by themselves as they were noisy in the auger of my stove. Mixing with pellets has solved this problem. So far, a 70/30 pit to pellet mixure has been good for me; this doesn't me I will stop experimenting with mixures though. I am still in the trial process. Furthermore, having cherry pits for fairly cheap-$3.40 per bag- and locally available, I am beginning to see them as a way for me to save money while continuing to stay warm. To try to be realistic about pits, I have developed a pro's and con's list for the pit.
Pro's:
Can be cheap alternative to pellets if available locally-Available bulk for $135 a ton
Clean-don't let the fly ash fool you, there simply isn't that much there when mixed, !however, this could depend upon the pellet-The pellet stove will be the judge of this.
Heat-many claim their product to be over 9000 btu-I don't know how hot they are, but I do see a noticable difference in heat!
This is a waste by-product
Con's
Awkard bags due to larger area needed to occupy 40lbs. worth of pits compared to pellets
Some say they burn faster than pellets-so far I haven't noticed this with mixure of pellets and pits-Because of the larger area the pits occupy, you may have to feed your stove more, however, it seems like you burn as much as if it were pellets-this will depend on the mixure!
limited supply depending on area and weather for the year
Mixing the pellets and pits takes more time to do than just pellets-A large plastic trash can would help with this.

Anyways, if you haven't tried pits before or want to revist the idea again like I did, mix them with some pellets and you might just find a new way to help save money and stay warm too!
Good luck

Con’s
Awkard bags due to larger area needed to occupy 40lbs. worth of pits compared to pellets

Are you saying they are whole? The only ones I have seen were processed.

The one's I found are processed: heated and screaned so they are ready to burn. #40 lbs. of pits takes up more area than #40 lbs. of pellets. The pits are whole and 1/2 pits.

Status
Not open for further replies.