Talk me out of this splitter if I shouldn't buy it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I got mine, a 27 ton Yardmachines splitter with a Honda for 600, but I had to do some work to it. The knobs a Home Dumpo brought a fork lift down on top of it, and bent up some stuff, but hey, never a problem yet. It's a good machine, and will serve you perfectly. I have only had one piece of wood get stuck, and that was a hardcore crotch of Elm. Elm sucks , but it was relatively the same as anything else I have split with that machine.

Make sure it runs well, like the engine wasn't run sans oil.
It seems like a good deal to me.

If it has really never been used or run, it sounds like a good deal. I would ask for the story behind why he is selling it; even though it'll be a story. I would also check it over very well, since you won't be getting any warranty with the unit.

You should be able to buy that or a comparable unit for about $1,000.00 if you watch for sales. So, you're basically saving a couple hundred in trade for a warranty.

Story was, they guy was going to start a firewood business with a friend and the friend backed out.
It's brand new, never run.
The gas tank was dry, never had anything in it.
I haven't run it yet cause of the holidays but I'm confident it'll be no problem.
Thanks all.

Does it have a suspension system in the axle/frame for towing? I have a HF splitter that is DOT rated for 45 MPH, but it lacks a suspension. As a result, it has to be towed on near-perfect roads w/o potholes else it jumps into the air. It jumped so much it cracked the weld from the fluid tank to the frame and leaked.

It may be an even better deal if it's still under warranty. I took a quick look at the MTD/Yard Machine website and it looks like that might depend in part on whether "Yard Machines" is an independent label.

I'd ask if the guy has the proof of purchase / receipt and the owner's manual. If it's still under warranty you might need those to enforce it. Check now to see if you need to take special steps to actually transfer the warranty.
~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.