tankless water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Any one have a tankless electric water heater? If so what are your thought of comparison to a tank if you previously had one? Brand? Size? savings? etc....

On the electric side, tank standby losses are low, EF factors are 0.85-0.91. Hard to recoup the extra expense of the tankless. When I looked at them, the gallons per hour were marginal (something like 3-4 gpm) even when pulling enough amps to brown out the neighborhood. If you want save $$ on elec, go for a heat pump system rather than a demand.

I think electric demand heaters for a whole house are a bad technology. For a sink in a distant bathroom, I guess they have a place.

There have been numerous previous posts on Hearth on this subject either here or in the Green Room. You should check them out.

Hello

With so many water tanks that only have a 3 year guarantee winding up at the dump each year, I bought a Stainless Steel Non Anode SuperStor Ultra Indirect with a lifetime guarantee and will never pay for another tank!

http://www.htproducts.com/superstor-ultra.html

Attachments

• landfillwaterheaters.jpg
    landfillwaterheaters.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 244
Years ago we had one but not for too long. The problem was that it would indeed heat the water but as soon as you shut the water off, there naturally was some water left in the heater. So if you started the water back up in just a few minutes you had to be really careful or you would burn yourself bad with a burst of super heated water. We had 2 children at home then and we tried to be careful but even I got burned every so often. Finally I had enough and just ripped it out. Also, I did not feel that we saved any fuel when using that compared to a regular water heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.