Tarm damper door failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else had the damper door break off on their Tarm boilers?
I had not burned for 4 days with the warm temps but in this mornings startup the damper control felt odd. It was not springing into the closed position. We were beginning to question the smoke pawl coming out and as I went to check on the burn I noted 1400° stack temps. Tad high I would say. There was no gasifying.
Upon lifting the sheet metal cover to look at the control for the door to see if there were any issues it became apparent the door is no longer connected to the shaft it hangs on.
I need to wait for the fire to go out before I can open the cleanout and inspect.
This is on a Solo 30 going into the 3rd season of use.

I just had a chance to get the damper door removed. The failure was not a difficult fix. The door hangs on a 10mm dia rollpin that had backed out and let the door drop down onto the heat exchanger tubes. The repair was as simple as reassembling the door onto the actuator and setting the pin back into it's hole.
The lucky part of this was the rollpin that is about 20mm long did not drop down a tube requiring fishing out from below. The pin was sitting right up top. Had the boiler just been cleaned the pin would not have set down into the soot that was setting there.
Now it is time to let the boiler cool down so we can do a cleanout and fire it up in the morning again.

I actually saw my pin getting close to falling out, pushed the damper , pin fell out and gonnzo it was. Ended up just using a piece of large gauge wire to secure it in.

Firing the Tarm today, I'll check for that, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.