Tarm delivery problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I ordered a Tarm Solo 40 in May, paid in full, and expected delivery by mid-June. Delivery was pushed back to July, then August, and now I'm being told September. At this point I don't know what to believe, but am becoming very concerned I won't have the unit until after the heating season starts, which will then require installation and tweaking. This is frustrating because one of the reasons I purchased the unit in May, besides the annual sale pricing, was to give me ample time to get everything sorted and have a few test runs well before the heating season commenced. As a result, I've started revisiting other brands, primarily the EKO and Biomass, which, I understand, are both available for immediate delivery. The problem is the prices for the other brands, as well as Tarm, have risen sunstantially since May. So I come to you with the following questions:

1) Assuming equal pricing would you recommend the Tarm, EKO or Biomass?

2) Would you have any problem exhausting the EKO in a 6" flue? The output is 8", but Zenon indicates 6" is fine and would write a letter to that effect.

3) For EKO and Biomass users, what homeowners insurance providers do you use? My current carrier is OK with the Tarm because, I believe, of its UL rating. The EKO has a European certification, but not UL.

4) If you weren't going to incorporate storage initially, which brand would you pick?

I thought I had the hard part, i.e. picking out a unit, resolved at this point; unfortunately, the delivery delays I'm experiencing have me rethinking which way I should go.

Thanks for your help.

I order and received an Econoburn last month, total time from
sending funds to taking delivery was 2 weeks. The boiler itself
is very robust in form, will run the devil out of it this winter..MM

I ordered my EKO 60 from Cozy heat and just under 2 weeks later I had it at my house. My insurance company said as long as it is installed to the specs in the manual they are fine with it. My insurance man will just have to bring a metric conversion chart with him LOL!!!

Rob

I it unusual to actual fire up a central heating system (biomass) before November...AND, you will probably own the system for decades, so my first advice would be to stay with your initial order. The TARM is a fine system, some would say "the best".

I don't think that storage now or later would be different with any brand.

The folks at Tarm (NH) should be able to give you an accurate idea at this point. In fact, a shipping container which would give you delivery in Sept would probably be leaving (or have left) the factory already, so you can simply ask them if they have the documentation that your unit has shipped.

Judging by my dealings with them I am sure the are on the up an up and with my experience with my Tarm I would stick with your first pick. I am not saying there is anything at all wrong with the other units but your first gut choice is usually always right for you.
You can still get your plumbing in place.

Hey! I was wondering what happened to you.

Have patience, it will show up sooner or later. Go ahead and make your tie ins now while the system is cold and just leave them valved off. As Craig mentioned, I don't think you are going to want to fire this thing up until November or December at the earliest, particularly without storage. Line up all the ducks now and be ready when the thing finally arrives. You will need a load to be able to tweak it!

Chris

gorsuchmill said:
I ordered a Tarm Solo 40 in May, paid in full, and expected delivery by mid-June. Delivery was pushed back to July, then August, and now I'm being told September. At this point I don't know what to believe, but am becoming very concerned I won't have the unit until after the heating season starts, which will then require installation and tweaking. This is frustrating because one of the reasons I purchased the unit in May, besides the annual sale pricing, was to give me ample time to get everything sorted and have a few test runs well before the heating season commenced. As a result, I've started revisiting other brands, primarily the EKO and Biomass, which, I understand, are both available for immediate delivery. The problem is the prices for the other brands, as well as Tarm, have risen sunstantially since May. So I come to you with the following questions:

1) Assuming equal pricing would you recommend the Tarm, EKO or Biomass?
The Tarm, primarily because it has the best warranty, and longest track record/support in this country

2) Would you have any problem exhausting the EKO in a 6" flue? The output is 8", but Zenon indicates 6" is fine and would write a letter to that effect.
If Zenon is willing to support a 6" exhaust pipe I would trust his judgement.

3) For EKO and Biomass users, what homeowners insurance providers do you use? My current carrier is OK with the Tarm because, I believe, of its UL rating. The EKO has a European certification, but not UL.
I haven't figured that one out yet, I imagine all insurance companies are a bit different on this, even agent to agent. Mine is going in a shed and I wasn't going to mention it to them.

4) If you weren't going to incorporate storage initially, which brand would you pick?
I don't think it would matter

I thought I had the hard part, i.e. picking out a unit, resolved at this point; unfortunately, the delivery delays I'm experiencing have me rethinking which way I should go.

Thanks for your help.

I ordered a Tarm Excel 2000 from a dealer in the begining of June along with all the other panic buyers. They had told me that the Excel's were in stock and had I ordered a Solo model it would have been back ordered.
As of today they tell me it will be shipped next Tuesday, that they (tarm) had been waiting for some control panels.
They did sent me a copy of the installation manual so I have been able to get some things ready.
In truth I won't be ready to install it until early September anyway, I was just getting a little nervous with it being pushed out each time I called.
I'll feel a lot better when its sitting in my basment hooked up or not.

Greg H

Tarm was great to me. I ordered early... put a downpayment down. Called them in June. Went up to Lyme...paid the rest. They put it in the back of my one ton. I drove home a happy man. Got home.. unloaded it with teh bucket on tractor.. put it in through doors of walkout basement.. put it on rollers.. and there it is.. waiting to be installed. Tarm people were very up front with me and I had no delays.

I seem to remember I ordered my TarmSolo40 on May 12.
It was delivered June 23.

I ordered an Eko 40 recently. The check went out, by mail, on a Thursday and the next Friday (1 week 1 day) I had the unit sitting at the house.

I ordered my Solo40 May 6, unit arrived June 16.Very pleased so far but still working on the install.I have been happy with TarmUSA.

I went to Lyme and checked out the place and the product in early May. I picked it up third week in June.

My TARM Excel 2000 finally came in!! Its sitting on the dock right now at Preston Trading post. I only ordered it June 6th.
Of course I'm not ready to hook it up yet. I'll probably pick it up Sept 6 and see if I can coax it down the stairs into the basement.

We went to Lyme for a look see around end of May as well. They thought there were a couple of unsold Solo40's in transit for June delivery. Took days to decide that we would go with the "wood chunk" boiler because them pellet people seemed a bit like oil companies and the futures market can not be far behind. (grin). When we placed the order, they said expect early October delivery for the Solo40s. We checked a couple of times to make sure it was on track in the factory and on the boat. It was delivered with no surprises.

Having been in the manufacturing business and used to shipment from overseas, we asked the delivery question at the start and at the time we placed the order. At the time we placed the order with our deposit, we would expect them to hold to that date, not the estimate. We were also worried about hurricanes, Somali pirates and Mr. Murphy Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.