Tarm Solo Plus 40---Low stack temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironwoodsmith

Dec 9, 2008
San Juan Island, WA
Hello to the forum.

I have been a member for a while but haven't done much posting. So I have this new to me boiler and I am getting along pretty well with it. My last one was a 30 year dinosaur the I finally retired.

My problem is the flue temp maximum is only 250 degrees right where it exits the boiler,... well a foot above. I am measuring with a magnetic thermometer and I know it is accurate because I can put a drop of water on the flue and it barely sizzles. After 1.5 months I am not getting creosote buildup and most of the time getting a good gasification going with plenty of heat available to the system. I have not installed storage yet but hope to over the summer. How concerned should I be with these stack temps?

I am using chain turbulators and could pull those out. I am getting easy 12 hour burns with lots of idling. But as I am on the west coast our winter has been mild. So does this fit into the normal range or not?

Thanks for your help and I wan to say this is a very good group and I hope to fit in. Joe

My problem is the flue temp maximum is only 250 degrees right where it exits the boiler,… well a foot above. I am measuring with a magnetic thermometer...

Given the vagaries of these types of thermometers, seems close to "normal" for me. Very roughly, a magnetic surface thermometer on the stack will read about 1/2 of interior flue temp. So your interior is 500 +/- which certainly is within an acceptable range. I have the interior probe thermometer, which typically reads 400-550 during most of my burns.

I would agree. Get a gauge with the internal probe to be sure. I have the Tarm turbolaters in my 40 and the stack is 400 at max burn.

I would also recommend a probe type thermometer.Internal temps for me are in the 400-600* range.High end is with really dry small splits

jebatty said:
Very roughly, a magnetic surface thermometer on the stack will read about 1/2 of interior flue temp.

Jeezum - my magnetic flue thermometer reads 70 right now. Must be pretty dang cold in there!

On my EKO 25, a magnetic flue thermometer reading of 250 corresponds to a thermocouple probe reading of 450 with a 7" flue. YMMV.

That is good to know. For some reason I assumed that the thermometer would be adjusted to more closely correspond to the true temp. Thanks for all the advice. I am truely amazed at the performance on this boiler. Joe

I would like to echo the recommendation that you put a probe-type thermometer in. As well, I would suggest you pull the turbulators (or at least half of them) until you put in storage. If you see stack temps consistently above 400 with the probe thermometer, I guess you could leave the turbulators in.

On another note, 12 hour burn times are VERY long. Too much idling. Try burning half a load at a time so you don't have quite such a load of wood creating smoke, creosote and condensation during idling. That will get you through the winter just fine, but, it really sounds like you will benefit from storage. Please follow through with your plans to add storage this summer.

Glad you like the boiler!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.