Tarm turbulator question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Jul 7, 2008
Western MA
www.penfrydd.com
Just got my solo 40...haven't set it up and am determining just where to put in in a room with a pitched ceiling/roof. Quick question: do I need clearance above the tarm in order to do any maintenance, and, if so, how much? I want to do as much of the installation myself as I can, prior to getting a professional to come in and give the okay so that the warranty is still honored.

Not sure about the Solo, I 've got the Excel but yes, you need to leave room equal to the turbulators so you can get them out and be able to use the brush to clean the tubes.

I have pretty close clearance to the ceiling,I am at work now but will measure the distance when I get home.I am almost sure it is less than 18" and I can still service the unit

18" will be tight. The brush to clean the HX tubes is flexible, but still a straight shot is better.

I just measured my clearance.I have 12 1/2" from top of the Tarm to the ceiling.I have a 150 year old farmhouse and had no choice as I don't have a lot of headroom.I do have two layers of 5/8"firecode sheetrock on the ceiling.I can clean and remove and install the turbulators with no problem.I will tell you that 12" would be the absolute minimum that I would go.As far as heat on the sheetrock,there is nothing other than room temp.

Just so we are speaking the same language, turbulators are an optional extra with the Tarm. Some people make their own. Do a search and you will find info on this forum.

What you will have to clean are the hx fire tubes running vertically inside the boiler and up the back. Tarm provides a steel bristle brush for these which you have to push down and pull up through each tube to clean it.

If you make or buy turbulators, these are inserted in the fire tubes and also would need to be removed and possibly cleaned when you clean the fire tubes.

Your space will be tight, and I'm a firm believer that there always is a way to what needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.