Task Force 5-ton electric splitter making a stop block?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, just got a Task Force 5-ton electric splitter. So far it is working great. The only thing I was thinking about is some king of a stop block to stop the ram from going all the way back. Most of the wood I burn is 18" or under and thought it would be faster if it did not go to the return stop all the time. Has anyone tried say a 2x4 block behind the pusher? I would remove it when done so the ram is protected. Also is there any reason to keep opening and closing the bleeder screw, or can it just be left open? Thanks for the help.
Don

a stop block might be safer - although using a piece of wood in between the ram and the round works - and I did that very same thing - after splitting nearly 5 cords with the TF unit - I had a few near misses by the head with a flying piece of wood.

as for the wing nut for the vent - its best to close it when the unit is not in use - hydraulic fluid likes to absorb moisture in the air - making it less effective and causing it to corrode the inners

I close mine after each use...and open it before each use

forgetting to open it may lead to premature seal leakage - I've read some posts about that occuring

REMEMBER to check the bolts on the end of the guide rods (near the splitting wedge).
I overlooked mine after less than a year of heavy usage and one of the bolts worked their way loose - causing a splitting operation to go just plain bad - bending the ram rod and rendering the unit for the time being...a heavy anchor until I figure out how to fix it.
I still have high praise for the TF - its underrated I think.

Thanks Guys for the reply. I will try the block and keep the vent screw closed when not using it. So far it has been working good. Again thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.