Task Force Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Oct 13, 2006
Just about decided on the Task Force 5 ton electric splitter. Most of my wood will "fit" within the limits of the machine and I will use it to resplit some wood that I have delivered. Just received a 10% off coupon from Lowes also.

Any last minute comments on why I shouldn't get this unit? The reviews online seem great. I guess a sale is too much to ask for.

You might want to check out the Speeco 5 ton electric at Tractor Supply. I am waiting for mine to arrive (got a raincheck for the $249 price, normally $299). I brought some wood to split to their demo days the weekend before last and was very impressed by it. The advantages I see of it over the Task Force are:

1) One handed operation at the ram end. I can use my left hand to steady a log while using my right hand to turn the lever that makes the ram move. With the Task Force you have to use two hands on that little box down by the motor with no way to hold the log. This is a huge difference and alone is enough reason for me to have gone with the Speeco.

2) Slightly longer log length. I measured the Speeco to be 21 3/4" max versus 21 1/4" max on the Task Force (measuring from the bulge in the center of the ram to the wedge).

3) 12 amp motor (Speeco) versus 15 amp (Task Force). A lot of reviews of the Task Force refer to the high current draw and some potential issues with that. I figure I can use a longer extension cord with the Speeco. Despite the amperage difference, both claim 5 tons of splitting force. I don't really know if this makes a difference or not, but the hydraulic pressure is 20 MPa with the Speeco and 16Mpa with the Task Force. At any rate, I doubt there is any performance difference between them. The only way to know for sure would be to have them both side by side and find a log that one could split that the other couldn't.

I was unable to find any reviews on the Speeco, but I assume this is because it is new (though I don't know how new). Lots of people seem to like their other splitters.

I saw the Speeco and probably would have gotten that one if I would have got it on sale. One hand operation is a definite benefit.

if you don't have stubby fingers or small hands, then you should be able to one-hand operate the task-force. Hold the lever down with your thumb and press the button with your outstretched middle/pointer finger...

I bought my Task Force splitter back when GWB (no, not the Great White Brotherhood...) mailed us all economic stimulus checks (I don't remember republicans squawking about it back then - they'd have cow today). China's economy got a nice boost from that stimulus. Anyway, the unit has performed better than expected, splitting 99% of everything I put on it. The two-hand thing is not as big a problem as some make of it. I'd buy it again.

So far the Task Force is my electric splitter of choice. Not sure how frequently these things go on sale - particularly this time of year. I'm thinking a gas splitter is just more than I need and too much $$ for the amount of wood that I typically will split.

I bought the Task Force about a month ago and have used it numerous times since. It has performed quite well for me. It splits just about everything I put in there. I tried some big pieces (16-18 inches in diameter) of ash just for fun and it had a difficult with those. Also, within the first hour of using it a good deal of paint was already rubbed off.
One thing odd that I noticed is that some pieces of wood will actually pop out with quite a bit of force instead of being split. You really have to be sure the ends are pretty square. I almost got knocked in the head more than once. It is a bit difficult to run it and keep your head out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.