Tax Credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Is it just me or are the prices of pellet stoves drifting down now that the tax incentive is gone. Seems like Washers and dryers did the same thing. I always suspected the dealers raised the price when the incentives hit, but it seemed to coincide with the more automated evolution of the stoves.

Prices will go down, no doubt. Every item has a price point at which it sells best, I'm guessing the cost of pellet burners was hiked as a result of the tax incentive because dealers/manufacturers know that customers are subtracting from the MSRP based on the % tax credit.

What's the deal on the new tax credit for 2011 that I heard about? Is it 10% up to 500.00 or is it $500/ stove?

Thanks,

AR

We dont know anything yet about the new tax credit, just rumors and props. I'm guessing it will be 10% up to 3-500 bucks..but thats just a guess. I'm just telling folks that have bought stoves from me so far this year to call me in the spring for updates and I'll give them the info and whatever documentation they need at that time.

Not sure about the tax credit thing, but the prices on places like craigs list for used stoves has gone waaaaaaaaaaay up

Last year I bought and sold several used stoves, keeping two nice ones for our own use and selling the others.

A stove model that I bought last year for $200 I see listed on Craigs for $700
Now I dont know how readily these are selling.

Also saw what apeared to be some real TRASH priced pretty high.

With the cost of heating oil and such where it is, the market is bound to react to the pressure of these things.

Tax credits are always a "carrot" being dangled me thinks.

Under some cicumstances I suppose this is a good thing. Sadly the government finances are in rotten shape, and to be offereing basically free $$$$$ makes little sense.

Another stimulus ploy I guess.

Snowy

I watch craigslist pretty regularly and I think the price increases on it are seasonal. I saw pellet stoves going dirt cheap in the summer and the sames stoves that didn't sell then are still on there for twice the price they were wanting in the summer. Funny thing is they are still on there so must not be selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.