Technology to improve efficiency of boats, aircraft, cars, even wind turbines!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
Reading through the product information here, this company seems to be marketing a substance which coats surfaces to reduce friction, a bit like PTFE, or Teflon, but more effectively. It is under test in various applications at present, but does show real promise in reducing fuel costs, as well as cleaning costs:

http://www.airglideltd.com/products/

I've seen numerous substances come and go in the past, but I think that this one looks like the answer to improving fuel consumption that will actually deliver the claimed results. So far, it looks promising.

I have a plastic dinghy that I drag across the beach - just got some wheels, but I couldn't help think that a little sled of sorts...just a pad of a certain shape, coated with something that slid very easy across sand, would be better. This would give a larger bearing surface (won't sink in), and may even reduce friction. I'm not sure of the best material, though - probably a teflon might be a good place to start, but it would probably scratch too much.

Maybe just a highly polished carbon fiber or resin...?

Seen a show were they used somthing like that on a cargo ship. Barnicles cant stick it so drag is reduced and the ships don't need cleaned as much. also helps to keep invasive critters at home.

I have a plastic dinghy that I drag across the beach - just got some wheels, but I couldn't help think that a little sled of sorts...just a pad of a certain shape, coated with something that slid very easy across sand, would be better. This would give a larger bearing surface (won't sink in), and may even reduce friction. I'm not sure of the best material, though - probably a teflon might be a good place to start, but it would probably scratch too much.

Maybe just a highly polished carbon fiber or resin...?
sounds like you need a new non-caloric silicone based kitchen lubricant that my company has been developing...its 500 times more slippery than and cooking oil.....Chevy Chase used it on his sled in Christmas Vacation with excellent results.

I heard that using one drop of that stuff in cooking gives you the runs for a week. (Remember Olestra?)

Status
Not open for further replies.