teens here and its a two stove day/night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Last night we got home about 5 and it was only 64 in the living room and the family room was about 68.

Hurried over and fired up the Prodigy in the living room and got it running good on #2 setting.

By about 6:30 it was nearly 74 in the whole house.

Turned the little stove off for the night and relit it this morning at 5:30

Sure great to have the option of MORE HEAT when its needed.

The temps are holding around 20 right now and snow is on the way the weather man says.

Rain and wind by Sunday late.

Gotta love sitting by the fire.

Snowy

better to have it, and not need it.. then to need it and not have it!

I love my two stove option now...

Must be nice! It is 14F already tonight. 72 by my chair on the second floor and 67 in the bedroom. Only have one stove, so for me, it is a one stove, and an electric blanket night.
Wife wants a gas insert in our prefab fireplace. I would like a pellet stove, but wife doesn't want me lifting those bags of pellets up the stairs.

save$ said:
I would like a pellet stove, but wife doesn't want me lifting those bags of pellets up the stairs.

I'm really uneasy with gas - had two places explode around here in the last year due to leaks. Pellets are much safer, and as we all know, cheaper than heating oil, which is now $3.35/gal around here.

So, lift half bags, or use a small bucket and bring some up with every trip up the stairs. That's what my other half does, since she can't heft 40 pound bags. She cuts one open, lets it pour into a bucket, and brings it in. It might take a few trips, but it gets done. I still bring in the bulk of the pellets, and I can still lug the full bags. Seems like they're getting heavier, though…
Or, slip a neighbor kid a few bucks to haul 10 bags a week up the stairs - stimulate the local economy!

I would like to put a second stove in the basement. Would help keep the floors warm.
Could be the start of my man cave too. Needs to be warm!
But my Wife is "Cold" to the idea.
Well still need to do more insulation 2nd floor and basement too.

When I got the 2nd one I figured it would be overkill as my XXV heats the 1st floor pretty
well from the basement, but I couldn't pass up the deal.

Figured I would just install it on the 1st floor for the winter and then sell it in the spring.
Yeah right..pellet heat can spoil a person. ;-)

The XXV is still my primary stove, but when the outside temps get near zero and both
stoves are running....Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.