Tees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
I'm going out through a basement wall to a class A chimney with dbl. wall interior pipe.

I think I like the idea of a tee with cleanout indoors instead of an elbow. Would this tee restrict draft much more than an elbow ?
Also, will this tee be helpful or will I usually want to disassemble all the interior pipe and clean right down to the stove anyway ?

My outside tee will only be 9" off the ground which will(?) probably necessitate cleaning from the top down. I was thinking of
installing another tee with cleanout somewhere above it so I won't have to get on the roof to brush the chimney.
Will this tee in the middle of a vertical run restrict the draft much, if at all ?

Last year I put a liner down to the basement inside a brick chimney. I put the tee in upside down, i.e. the flat parallel to the ground. That way I can clean the vertical run from the top and the horizontal to the stove from the tee. And... a stiff steel bar placed across the chimney supports the weight of the liner. I like it.

That would eliminate the interior tee. I'll go with that. Thanks.

Do you think an additional tee in my vertical run would allow me to clean from the ground ?

Doubtful. Brushes and rods don't like right angles, no matter how small...

Got it. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.