Temporary fix for cracked glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinpa

Oct 25, 2008
Western Pa
To make a long story short, my glass cracked on the front of my wood furnace. So it's Saturday morning and I can't get replacement glass until Monday evening. Here's my thought, on the front, run some aluminum tape across the crack. On the inside, cut a piece of gauge steel to cover the glass and tack it in place for now. Any reasons why this wouldn't work till Monday?

The tape will do fine it will last until monday. You will need to find a glass shop that stocks pyrex glass or pyroceran glass.

The tape will do fine it will last until monday. You will need to find a glass shop that stocks pyrex glass or pyroceran glass.

The same situation just happened to our stove. Will the aluminum tape work by itself without the steel on the inside? If we use the aluminum tape on the glass / ceramic on the outside will we still be able to burn ?

luv, this thread is from back in 2010, so it's not likely to get much response. You don't say anything about what sort of appliance you're dealing with. If it's a wood stove, then I suggest starting a new thread in The Hearth Room forum. If it's a pellet stove, go to The Pellet Mill, if a boiler/furnace, then start a new thread in this forum. Explain the appliance and the situation, and also let us know where you're located. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.