Tenacity? Nah, just getting back to business.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I pushed my snow-blower over a mile through the woods to get to these wood stacks.

1/4 mile.
IMG_0168%20(800x600).jpg

1/2 mile.
IMG_0156%20(800x600).jpg

3/4 mile, almost there.
IMG_0159%20(600x800).jpg

End of the trail...for now! I was testing it out with my ATV and I think I might be able to pull the trailer as needed, since the trail is wide enough. Although, if I can't get enough traction, I will make do with the sled, which only hauls 1/3 of a load.
IMG_0157%20(800x600).jpg

There are some dead trees along my cleared path, so I can cut, even if they aren't the trees that I wanted to cut now.
IMG_0160%20(600x800).jpg

call it whatever you want. I'll call it "winter-farmer syndrome". (AKA: Boredom)

if you were not doing that, what would of been doing
sitting at the computer posting on hearth.com
wait, you would not of had any pictures to post
great job, maybe a plow for the atv someday??

HA! Well, I really wasn't all that bored, but the wood out there is for sale. And I am just about out of what I can sell in the yard, so it was either that or quit selling for the year. But now I will have a supply for a little while yet again.

I used to have snowplow on my old ATV (it was a Sportsman with 10,000+ miles on it) and I tried once to plow those trails but I wrecked the plow doing it. Tore all the welds loose and had to re-weld it, straighten it, etc. It never was the same after that. The trails are just too narrow and full of stumps to plow. And many of the trails have been planted for wildlife food-plots. The snow-blower doesn't scrape the ground like the plow did. But this time, many of the drifts along the irrigation field were too deep for a plow to push anyway.

Way to go quads! I'm curious just how long that took to snow blow those paths open?

I am having more difficulty with the new snow plow back in the woods. It seems to catch on the smallest stuff and also digs in a lot. Next time I'm not going to drop the blade as far.

Wow Quads

A lot of times I go out and do something to keep from being boored. But I don't think I could get that enthused. But one good thing about using a blower is that you don't have snow pile to climb through to get to the woods.

Billy

Dennis, it took me about four hours. I went out, turned around, and then made a second pass all the way back. I didn't go steady, I stopped to look around sometimes, and one time I got a stick in the blower just right so that it squealed the belt for a second and killed the engine dead! Other than that, it went pretty smooth, and this is the first time I ever tried it. But yes, I had a lot of trouble the time I tried to plow out there with my old ATV and plow. I hooked stumps, sticks, everything. And then it would suck down hard to the ground, trip the springs, etc. I raised it up a little, then sometimes it would lift over the snow too much and I'd get stuck. That was the one and only time I ever tried it with the ATV plow and then I had to rebuild the plow after that day.

Nice job Q a real simple way to plow on dirt or gravel trails is to take a 2" steel pipe slit it length wise open it up just enough and attach to bottom of plow, this allows the plow to ride over the small stumps and roack etc...

woodsman23 said:
Nice job Q a real simple way to plow on dirt or gravel trails is to take a 2" steel pipe slit it length wise open it up just enough and attach to bottom of plow, this allows the plow to ride over the small stumps and roack etc...
Hey! That's a very good idea! Wish I had tried that when I had my plow in the woods, sounds like just the thing it needed.

Woodsman, I might also give that a try.

i thought most plows had these adjustable feet that could keep the blade a specified distance off of the ground for circumstances such as these.

The adjustable feet on my old plow weren't very good, but still, when the cutting edge of the blade would catch a limb, or a lump in the ground on the uneven trails in the woods, it would dig in and trip the springs etc. I think a rounded edge on the blade might help it to ride up over some of those problems, in addition to the shoes.

try this quads..

grga9020kd.jpg

just kidding man ;-P

mine does the same thing and there isnt much you can do about it except lift the blade a little bit as ya know :)

DSC05561.jpg

loon

Ha, loon! Nice looking setup there. But how does the operator hold the handlebars with no fingers?

The biggest problem I had was with all the stumps along the edge of the trails, the trails are narrow, barely wide enough for the ATV. I plowed them once many years ago, had a heck of a time, broke all the welds on the plow and bent it. Never tried that again. When I bought the new ATV (the one I use now) I didn't buy a new plow for it, bought a snow-blower instead. The old plow assembly is still laying out by my iron pile somewhere, but it was worn out and all bent up again anyway. (I bought it in 1996)

:cheese:

DSC05561-1.jpg

this bike has a broken stator $$ :shut:

but will be putting that plow on the new one when 'that' bike is fixed ;-P

use to plow a trail over in the woods with it but it was way to hard on everything!

now i just jump in this :cheese:

DSC05409-1.jpg

loon said:
now i just jump in this
NICE! Couple of those on the farm, but much older. If only my trails were wider! But it's all good because if I could get one of the tractors out there easily, then I'd have to cut even more wood, and work harder.....yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.