Termites in firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNC

Jan 3, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
Do I panic? Spring is here, in NC. Temps in 60s will be near 80 by friday
Do I get rid of what is left of that shipment of firewood or let them munch and wait until spring really gets here. The firewood is on a pallet on the driveway 15' from the house and 5' from the garage

Attachments

• !cid__20110216114303.jpg
    !cid__20110216114303.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 450
A good hot fire will take care of that mess fast.

Start an outside fire and incinerate them. Hope it not too many. I wouldn't bring live termites into my house.

I've sprinkled a bit of Borax about any wood that I though termites might be interested over theyears. No termites ; )

pyper said:
Termites are just a fact of life in the South.

It's also a fact that they can't live in wood that's not in contact with the ground unless the wood is wet. "Wood with MC ≤24% was not adequate to sustain a subterranean termite infestation with no soil contact..." source: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20497163

Technically you are sort of correct. Termites can and will build tubes, mud tubes, to bring in the moisture needed. This is how they can and will enter a house.. sometimes even having the tubes straight up with virtually no support... see attached pics..

Attachments

• termite-shelter-tube-picture.jpg
    termite-shelter-tube-picture.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 284
  • termite-mud-tube.jpg
    termite-mud-tube.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 942
If the wood is seasoned, I might have tried burning it. Carry it to the stove one load at a time in a plastic bin to catch any stray termites, and put it right in a hot stove. A few termites in the house aren't a threat - lone termites won't survive long. On the other hand, I'd hate to have a stack of termite infested wood laying around during weather that allows termites to travel. here it is too cold for termites to move far, but in NC I assume it is travelin' weatehr for bugs.

andrewdee said:
Hey Shawneyboy Saw the pics of mud tubes. Made me get up and go in my crawlspace to check. No tubes

Good to hear. Many people do not relize that they can do that.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.