Termovar By-pass Freeze Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Some may be in a situation similar to mine where I need freeze protection for 1000 gal storage + boiler during a winter period (vacation in Aruba, hopefully!). My boiler is the sole heat source for my shop. The solution I am now installing is a 12000w tankless water heater to be triggered by low water temp which may occur when the system is idle during the winter. As I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that the Termovar will not admit system/storage return to the boiler unless the boiler supply side is about 160F, as the Termovar only recirculates boiler water at temps below 160F. Also, I don't want to heat the boiler to 160F+ with a tankless heater just to achieve system circulation.

What I did was plumb a 3/4" line between system return and boiler return, by-passing the Termovar, along with a ball valve to open/close the by-pass. I tested the plumbing and can get 2-8 gpm, depending on my circ settings with the bypass. Hope to finish the wiring for the tankless heater soon to give it a final test and see what delta-T the tankless heater delivers at various gpm's.

I considered electric heat in the shop to cover this situation, but thought keeping the whole shop at a freeze-protected temp would use a lot more electricity than just heating the insulated storage and boiler.

Jim, your body must go into thermal shock when you land in Aruba from Northern MN in the winter-time!

...you could just pull the Termovar element...

The gaskets on the Termovar are a bit fragile, and based on past experience, I don't want to mess with the Termovar unless absolutely necessary. Installing a valve and a little bit of plumbing was pretty easy, and from now on I just have to flip a valve.

jebatty said:
What I did was plumb a 3/4" line between system return and boiler return, by-passing the Termovar, along with a ball valve to open/close the by-pass.

This is exactly what I did to get freeze protection. My circulator is controlled by a differential controller with built-in freeze protection. So when I go away I just flip open the bypass valve and the controller will activate the circulator as needed to keep the boiler from freezing. I have found there is easily enough heat stored in my ~600 gal of storage to last a couple of weeks in the winter in this mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.