Termovar questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
There are always problems (questions) with the termovar thermatic valve. Would someone please post pictures of the valve with the front cover removed, showing the element and spring in relation to the proper piping.
I have heard that some of these valves were shipped with the markings or the element in backward.
What I think we need are pictures of the opened valve clearly showing #1 the balance valve port, #2 the port to the circulator, and #3 the return from the system port. I know this would be well need information.
Could be a sticky!

See the current post Termovar Problems and the info and links shown in that post. Should deal with most of your questions.

I've been following the posts Jim. I'd really like to see pictures showing the inner workings of the valve. I did hear that some were marked, from wherever they came, wrong.
There really doesn't seem to be much literature available. The info I got from tarm lists the ports as #1-from boiler supply balancing valve. #2- Return from heat load. #3- To boiler pump intake.
The front cover plate on my valve is reversable. It could be installed backwards.

Once you open it up its pretty self evident. I have a pic of the guts in my other post. The plate goes against which ever port you want to regulate, in this case port #2 If it were backwards then it would never open untill the return hit 140. Just measure before and after the valve.

Greg H, do you have a 140* or a 161* element in your valve?

"The plate goes against which ever port you want to regulate, " What plate are you talking about?

I have the 161.
In the pic you can see a round plate or disk on the end of the spring. The spring normally keeps it against the seat preventing flow. As the cartridge gets hot it pushes out that pin you see lifting the plate up and allowing some flow. The hotter it gets the more it pushes out. This one is fully extended.

Attachments

• HPIM4047.jpg
    HPIM4047.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 184
Status
Not open for further replies.