testing blower voltage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
can anyone explain to me how this is done.
i have isolated the blue wire coming from the board as the feed to my combustion blower.purple is for my convection blower.i know i'm looking for 114 on high and 82 on low.
with the lack of heat from my stove ,a fellow member here was nice enough to stop by my house today to look at the stove.i get serious ash build up in the pot after just a couple of bags.air is set with magna gauge so we know thats not the issue.stove is clean clean clean.it seems to not be getting enough air thru the pot and the pellets are not burning up and clogging the pot.he witnessed this after less than a half hour burn.can anyone tell me in real simple terms)how to test my blowers

With a multimeter. You need to carefully make contact where the connectors are. Put the meter on AC volts. Then connect the red meter wire to the blue wire. And the black meter wire to the white neutral wire.

Just remember there is power on and things are live back there. I try to get things setup when the stove is powered down. I stick the probes from the meter in the connectors. Then refire the stove and watch the meter. make sure the probes dont touch the stove chassis or it will arc out on you.

Tread carefully please!

these are the voltage readings i got from the combustion blower.
setting 1=93 tech manual 76
2=101 83
3=106 90
4=112 97
5=125 line v

all of my numbers are higher.what does this mean.
will post convection results in a bit

here are the convection blower readings
setting 1 =90 tech manual 1=78
2=97 2=84
3=103 3=90
4=109 4=96
5=123 5=line v

corkman said:
these are the voltage readings i got from the combustion blower.
setting 1=93 tech manual 76
2=101 83
3=106 90
4=112 97
5=125 line v

all of my numbers are higher.what does this mean.
will post convection results in a bit

here are the convection blower readings
setting 1 =90 tech manual 1=78
2=97 2=84
3=103 3=90
4=109 4=96
5=123 5=line v

Readings will differ depending on whether you are reading with the motor drawing current or just reading only the voltage output of control board without a motor load.

Voltage from your wall outlet may vary from what the company used in their tests. They probably specify what the supply voltage would be - mine does, and assumes 120 VAC. My line voltage is a bit lower, so my readings would vary accordingly.

Hello

My Avalon Astoria has a 165 CFM convection blower.

So for each of the 6 fan speeds the CFM and line voltage is as follows. Hope this helps

Fan
Speed__Volts AC__CFM
6_______110_____165
5_______105_____157.5
4_______100_____150
3________90_____135
2________85_____127.5
1________70_____105

Attachments

• ConvectionBlowerCleanSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerCleanSC.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 173