Thank you all! Especially Heat Seeker! Question for you...:)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Thankyou, Now I really understand how everything works! So I have a combustion question... Suppose you have a large hall with two identical stove at each end burning the same pellets. One is using inside combustion air the other has an OAK. Since (I think) all we care about is max BTU's and least pellets used...at least I would! Would the OAK make a significant differance...Thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
Thankyou, Now I really understand how everything works! So I have a combustion question... Suppose you have a large hall with two identical stove at each end burning the same pellets. One is using inside combustion air the other has an OAK. Since (I think) all we care about is max BTU's and least pellets used...at least I would! Would the OAK make a significant differance...Thanks, Bill

Think for a moment about where the air for combustion comes from and the flow rate of the combustion blower just for starters.

Do you think there is an issue with pumping air you have heated to the outdoors and thereby sucking outdoor air in through every single crack in your houses exterior to replace the exhausted air?

bostonfan49 said:
I know now that cold/fresh air from an OAK is better on the combustion side, I am just curious on HOW MUCH better???????

We all speculate, But there is no known "exact" answer. I haven't seen any hard evidence to support either side of the OAK conflick/debate. No know lab test results have ever been posted.

But for reasons that have been hashed many-many-many-many times! I am an OAK believer! Did I say enough many times???

I guess all I am trying to figure out is between the 2 possible setups.....is one better than another? If the purpose of the OAK is to draw in outside fresh air versus inside warm air, all I am asking is what is the advantage of this? I think you said earlier that it produces a more efficient flame/better combustion. So I am curious between 2 theorectical setups...if one would produce more heat and or use less pellets. Thanks, Bill

The purpose of the OAK is to keep your house from sucking in outside air... combustion air that is pulled from the same plenum that you are heating creates a vacuum and pulls air from wherever it can (foundation cracks, bad window seals, door gaps, etc)

To repeat: other appliances in the house exhaust air from the house, reducing the pressure in the house. The stove would have to compete with them for air, and may starve for air, and in extreme cases, may even draw fire and/or heat out of the stove through the non-OAK air intake.
Similar case in point - for some reason, my co-worker's wife turned on the attic fan while the fireplace damper was open. The entire living room and hall were coated in ashes that "exploded" out of the fireplace. If there had been a fire, it would have been an even worse disaster. A similar, but smaller, event could take place without an OAK in a pellet stove, if the dryer, water heater, range vent, bath vent, etc., are running.

Thanks all & Heat Seeker, So from a safety angle only (which pleases my wife and myself) an OAK is probably a good thing to have. Thanks!!!! I apologies to anyone if I seemed like a blazing idiot. We've been in this house for 25 years and rarely used the fireplace. Our house is fairly tight as far as cold air/heat loss so inadvertently that is one one of my concerns and thus an OAK kit for my M55 would be a plus! I did pick up a "Rigid" shop vac with a Ash hepa filter and a super fine particle bag that also says for fireplace/stove ash. Thanks, Bill

Bill, Didn't mean to make anyone feel awkward. Its just that this OAK subject usually creates turmoil and really has been beaten far beyond death. Do a search at the top on OAK and see some of the wars that happened. Nothing against anyone, But the subject makes my hair standup and skin crawl! Sorry if I came off cross! ;-)

Yeah, same here, I hope I didn't come across too strong.
Asking about an OAK is sorta like asking what's better - Chevy or Ford, or what's the best oil for my car, etc….as J said, it's a "hot" topic!

My neighbors new oil fired boiler required an OAK.

bostonfan49 said:
Thanks all & Heat Seeker, So from a safety angle only (which pleases my wife and myself) an OAK is probably a good thing to have. Thanks!!!! I apologies to anyone if I seemed like a blazing idiot. We've been in this house for 25 years and rarely used the fireplace. Our house is fairly tight as far as cold air/heat loss so inadvertently that is one one of my concerns and thus an OAK kit for my M55 would be a plus! I did pick up a "Rigid" shop vac with a Ash hepa filter and a super fine particle bag that also says for fireplace/stove ash. Thanks, Bill

Glad you got the new vac. Always make sure you never vacuum any hot ashes or coals, etc. Let the stove cool fully and then still be careful. Just FYI in case you didn't know.

slls said:
My neighbors new oil fired boiler required an OAK.

Massachusetts code calls for an OAK in ALL new fireplace installations. Yup, all new construction with a fireplace must have an OAK in the hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.