Thanks and what I've learned - Harman P61-2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

capetom

Feb 28, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
First post - read this forum a lot and ended up buying a used (8 yrs old) Harman P61-2 and have been burning 24/7 for 7 weeks. Thanks for all the info, was very helpful in selecting and installing the stove.

As payback , here is what I've learned - one of the best tips I got here was not to cut holes or install fans until you see how the stove heats your home. I am heating a 100 yr old 2 story foursquare style house (four rooms up, four down), about 1800 sq ft. The stove is in one of the rooms downstairs blowing out into central hallway at foot of stairs and all downstairs rooms are connected by doors which probably helps heat flow. Downstairs is maintained at 21C and the coldest room upstairs maintains 19C at -10C outdoors. Did not expect his to work so well so very happy. Burning 1 bag/day at >0C, about 1.75 bags/day at -10C with high winds, big savings over oil and the house is actually warm.

Had a couple of issues with this used stove-

Glass would get dirty very quickly. When I removed the OAK fitting to install the OAK, the area behind it was packed with dust. I realized the small round tube that runs from here through the firebox is the airwash and it was clogged. After vacuuming it out, no more dirty glass and much better flames!

Distribution blower started squealing. Ordered a new one but have not received it yet. Took old one apart and opened up motor. Cleaned out all the dust from the fan and motor and added 3-in-1 motor oil to the packing in the bearings (were both dry) and re-installed, running better than ever. Probably a temporary fix, but may get you through if stuck.

Definitely go with OAK, less drafts for sure in my house, plus no more dust getting sucked in to airwash.

Thanks again for all the great info .