Thanks for the Edumacation :-P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
So I am taking the kids to Bestbuy in the corolla when I spy a crew dropping several very large trees in a veterinary parking lot and decide to stop on the way back, well I stop and ask if it is up for grabs and as the one guy runs off to ask the other guy I look down and see the leaves, damn they look distinctive and familiar, sure enough he runs back and says sure but you better hurry cus two other guys have been running huge loads all morning, I tell him I will be back with the truck but after all I have read here about "pople/poplar" I figure I wont freak out the wife with what I know as Tulip Poplar, as I already have a lot of wood to finish, would have gone back and dealt with the verbal wail had I been able to cherry pick some oak rounds :)

sorry for boring story and lack of picks.

I agreed to take 2 truck loads from lady knowing she was then going to let me at the maples and cherry trees. I never split it before, very eay to split and very light so I'm sure the 2 loads won't last long...guess it will be decent enough for a late spring burn.

Better luck next time. Keep your eyes open...all they can do is say no, right?

I wouldn't compare Tulip Poplar to other poplars. Tulip is sort of light, but close to many other hardwoods like Red Maple, Cherry, etc. No big loss this time, but I'll take Tulip if I can get it.

Makes pretty good lumber too.

I had a similar situation. I got a huge poplar last fall then got a call back from the same farm for another tree down. Said I would take it site un-seen and turned out to be a huge pig nut hickory! Oh yea!!

I've got a few Tulip around here. I'm thinking I'll make small splits and kindling out of it to get my stone stove up to temp faster on cold starts, and to get reloads established faster.

About 10 years ago a huge tulip poplar fell on my neighbors property, almost crushing his house. We back up to town owned open space and the tree fell from inside of it, so the town guys came over to take care of it. They cut it into really large rounds and rolled them back into the wood. When asked about whether we could cut it up into firewood, the guys said "that is a poplar tree, you don't want to burn that in your fireplace. No good. "

So those rounds have been sitting there growing moss for 10 years now, and now that I have a fireplace insert I am thinking I will go over and split a few rounds just to see how they are for kindling. It can't be that bad!

Poplar is not rot resistant. Don't have to many plans for that stuff. Worth a try? Maybe if it is easy to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.