Thanks to All that posted!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2010
N.W. Iowa
A while back I wrote a post about draft inducers and the issues I was having. A few of of you suggested that I reline my chimney and the trouble over with. Well I bit the bullet and ordered a SS Flex liner kit with insulation. After to much headaches with the supplier and two UPS orders of the wrong part I finally have it installed. I waited for a bit of cold air to come are way (not that I was complaining about our unusually warm fall) so I could try it out. The stove I has is a new Travis 1750 and I never thought it performed the way it should last year. All I can say is the liner kit made a difference like night and day. I no longer am having trouble getting a draft started and I am getting amazing secondary burns. I keep going outside to look at the chimney to see what is coming out, most all the time I have to look really hard just to see some heat vapors. Now the wife is happy, which makes me happy, lol.

Yea! Nice to hear a good ending. Thanks for the update.

that is awesome news, congrats

Way to go! Who did you buy the kit from and what wrong parts were sent to you?

Ray

raybonz said:

Ray

I bought the kit from The Chimney Depot in PA. After talking with the sales rep he said I needed what they call a short body Tee since I had little clearance at the bottom of my chimney. So we ordered a 5.5 inch insulated liner with the short body Tee. After the kit arrived I put it together not checking this out( my Bad) and found after getting it down the chimney with some trouble the snout for the Tee would not line up. Also the snout was too short. So I ordered a 24 inch snout and the next day I got to thinking about the short body Tee and measured it though the chimney. It seemed to me it was not the correct one. So I called them explained it to Joe and he agreed they had sent the wrong one. Their error. So I asked him to second day air it to me so it would arrive the same day as the longer snout. He said he would call be back and let me know if he could do this. No phone call! So the next day I called and a gal tracked the packages for me and said the snout would arrive today but the short body Tee would be the next day. So I asked to speak with Joe and asked him why he did not call me back. After some discussion we said good bye. So the next day after the part arrived I took the liner back out of the chimney, took off the Tee body and tried to install the new short body Tee. When I slid the short body Tee onto the liner it went on way to easy, in fact it was loose!! So I took it off and measured it, to find out it still was not the correct part. It was a short body Tee but made for a 6 inch liner not a 5.5 inch liner. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. So I called Joe up explained to him the problem, he said hold for a minute and connected me to tech support. I told the guy I did not need tech support, I needed someone that could send me the correct part! He made me explain to him what I had, then he agreed I had the wrong part, I was thinking like duh, I already know that. So back on the phone with Joe. This was on a Thursday. I told Joe I either wanted the correct part on my door step by Sat. am or he could have the whole kit back. This meant a NDA Sat. delivery, oh well it was their mistake. Anyways the part arrived on Sat. and now all is good. Sorry for the long story, but I did leave out some of my discussion with Joe, lol.

Firefighter4634 said:
raybonz said:

Ray

I bought the kit from The Chimney Depot in PA. After talking with the sales rep he said I needed what they call a short body Tee since I had little clearance at the bottom of my chimney. So we ordered a 5.5 inch insulated liner with the short body Tee. After the kit arrived I put it together not checking this out( my Bad) and found after getting it down the chimney with some trouble the snout for the Tee would not line up. Also the snout was too short. So I ordered a 24 inch snout and the next day I got to thinking about the short body Tee and measured it though the chimney. It seemed to me it was not the correct one. So I called them explained it to Joe and he agreed they had sent the wrong one. Their error. So I asked him to second day air it to me so it would arrive the same day as the longer snout. He said he would call be back and let me know if he could do this. No phone call! So the next day I called and a gal tracked the packages for me and said the snout would arrive today but the short body Tee would be the next day. So I asked to speak with Joe and asked him why he did not call me back. After some discussion we said good bye. So the next day after the part arrived I took the liner back out of the chimney, took off the Tee body and tried to install the new short body Tee. When I slid the short body Tee onto the liner it went on way to easy, in fact it was loose!! So I took it off and measured it, to find out it still was not the correct part. It was a short body Tee but made for a 6 inch liner not a 5.5 inch liner. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. So I called Joe up explained to him the problem, he said hold for a minute and connected me to tech support. I told the guy I did not need tech support, I needed someone that could send me the correct part! He made me explain to him what I had, then he agreed I had the wrong part, I was thinking like duh, I already know that. So back on the phone with Joe. This was on a Thursday. I told Joe I either wanted the correct part on my door step by Sat. am or he could have the whole kit back. This meant a NDA Sat. delivery, oh well it was their mistake. Anyways the part arrived on Sat. and now all is good. Sorry for the long story, but I did leave out some of my discussion with Joe, lol.

Sorry to hear that! I will keep that on mind! I read that the FlexKingPro is a good liner is that the one you bought?

Ray

Yes, the Flex King Pro is what I bought. I don't have anything to compare to but the quality of the material was excellent. My main issue was with the fact that on two different times that Joe said he would call me back and never did. He was very apologetic about it and the end results were good. I did ask him for something for all the hassle, he said he would try to do something for me but I have not heard anything. I guess I would not say I would not do business with them again, maybe they were just having a bad day. Like I said the quality seemed to be very good.

I just bought a deluxe terra cotta chimney cap for the same company last week. Joe said it would be sent out on Wednesday, so it should arrive Thursday or Friday. Saturday and still no chimney cap. I e-mailed them Saturday to find out when it might arrive. Monday I called and a woman said she would find out about the order and call me back. No call back by 3:00 pm so I called again. I was told they didn't have any in stock so they had to make one up special and it would be sent out. I finally got it today. You would think someone would have at least called when they "discovered" they were out of stock. :coolgrin:

Four years ago I had some of the same problems with them. Of course I had the same kind of problems with two other liner suppliers also. The only one that has nailed it every time and got the stuff to me like lightning is Hart's Hearth.

Everybody but Hart's tries to do my thinking for me instead of sending what I asked for. Hart's asks all the right questions and then when they know that I know what the hell I am talking about, boom, they ship it. On the driveway in a day or two. Usually one day. Like a lot of chimney supply dealers they ship from their distributor's warehouses all over the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.