Thanksgiving score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I was surprised yesterday when I drove past my usual scrounge location. The tree service must have had a busy week. This was 3 miles from my house. I took about a cord of oak and silver maple. There is also some knotty crap that I will pass on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 140
Nice score.
Much competition getting wood from there, 1st come ?

much competition? do they put it out there for folks to grab or you know them or just have special permission to grab it?

This place is kind of hidden. It is the yard for a large tree service. I have asked/confirmed many times that it is ok to cut. All they ask is that I have proper PPE (chaps, eye protection, etc.) and that I clean up any loose sawdust. In fact, I am at the point that I can be selective about taking straight grained rounds. No knotty, crotchy stuff anymore.

It works for me (obviously). And for them, as they do not have to dispose of any wood.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
RE: competition... Only one friend whom I turned on to this place. I live in a pretty well-to-do area. I can't see most folks cutting and splitting their own wood.

Good that you have a close supply for the wood and good for you for getting it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.